Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - About to be new hedgehog owner, I have a few questions.
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
GoodandPlenty

Default Re: About to be new hedgehog owner, I have a few questions.

You're talking about a mansion for a cage. If you've got the space, it would be terrific. I settled on C&C pretty quickly, but then had to decide on the size. I never considered anything other than two grids deep. I've seen pictures of a couple of very cool cages that are one grid deep, but quite a few grids long. Three grids deep would probably only work if the cage was the centerpiece of a room, which probably isn't very practical.

I started by thinking of going six grids long. Then I started thinking about floor space in the room, and providing liners for something so big. I reluctantly shifted down to five grids, and then settled on four grids long. That has worked out well. I have a six foot table that the cage sits on, and am very glad that I went with something I could get off the floor. I could have gone one grid longer, but am not disappointed at reining in the size.

Space goes fast. I have to admit that I don't know how people go smaller. The CSW wheel with a litter pan that I made for it goes in one corner. Her house in a second corner. Food and water dishes in another. A two foot PVC pipe with a 90 degree long-sweep bend takes up almost an entire wall along one length. After that, there really isn't much space left. I would have been disappointed if I'd gone just three grids long. (But this is me. I'm not knocking anybody else's setup.)

If you can manage a cage as large as described - terrific.

Sophie doesn't have any interest in treats except for mealies. She loves mealies.

Sophie has no interest in toys at all. I do have a passel of empty water bottles in her play area. Some nights she zooms around them like it's a road course. Other nights, it's demolition derby night and she's pushing them all over the place.

In her cage, she has an igloo and the PVC pipe. She likes to hide in the pipe, but usually sleeps in the house. I put a starter pile of fleece strips and squares in her house, and a goodly stack outside the house. Most nights she will build a burrow in her house. Some nights in the tunnel. Some nights she ignores the fleece. At night, I keep a hedgie sack available if she doesn't feel like running around.

In this picture, you can see that she plugs up the ends of her tunnel pretty good.
http://www.serenebreezes.com/Sophie-.../Sophie-96.jpg

Here is all of the fleece strips and squares that I pulled out of her tunnel. She puts in real effort to build a nice burrow.
http://www.serenebreezes.com/Sophie-.../Sophie-98.jpg

I love the CSW. It's all Sophie needs.

I don't care for the litter pan that comes with the CSW and made a coroplast box just for it. I had litter pads made to fit. She does most pooping and peeing 'on the run', so whether she litter trains or not, that takes care of most of her poop and pee.

It is often suggested that when you wake your hedgie up, that you should give them a few minutes to poop and pee, and then take them out. That does not work with Sophie at all. She will find a place to hide and go right back to sleep. She does poop and pee pretty quickly after getting up, so I've taken to getting her out with a litter pad. I keep her on it and just pet her for a few minutes. She relaxes, does her business, and then it's safe to have her out. She hardly ever goes on me anymore.

Handle them every day, even if all they do is sleep in your lap.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote