Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - csw's?
Thread: csw's?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lilysmommy
Super Moderator

Default Re: csw's?

The measurements for the Carolina Storm Wheel (CSW) are:

Quote:
With the wheel attached at the highest setting it stands around 15 and 1/2 inches tall. On the lowest available setting the wheel stands just over 14 inches tall. The running surface of the wheel is 5 inches wide and the wheel alone is 6 inches wide. The litter pan is 9x12 and the stand is 14 and 1/2 wide.
And for the Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel (CSBW) are:

Quote:
Measurements
The running surface is five and a half inches wide. The diameter of the wheel is ten and half inches. On the lowest possible height setting the wheel is approximately eleven inches tall. On the highest possible height setting the wheel is twelve and half inches tall. The stand is twelve inches wide.
(Taken from Larry's site here - http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.com/t ... wheel.html and http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.com/s ... wheel.html )

The main differences (that I know of) are that the bucket wheels come in color, they're smaller, and they do not come with a litterbox included. I had one of each type of wheel and found that Lily preferred the bucket wheel. I'm not sure if she liked the smaller size, or the darker color, but she definitely ran more on the bucket wheel. She was also a smaller hog though, around 400 grams.

For cleaning, I just used two spray bottles - one with a 50/50 vinegar/water mix, and one with a diluted chlorhexidine mix. I sprayed the wheel's surface with the vinegar bottle first and let it sit for a couple minutes (tilted up so it wouldn't drain out onto the carpet). Wiped it down, sprayed and wiped again if needed until the wheel was clean, then sprayed with the chlorhexidine bottle and wiped. The chlorhexidine was just because it smells nice, and I figured two cleaners couldn't hurt. I never cleaned the wheel until the evening, when the poop/pee had dried all day, and it was still a breeze to clean the wheels. I had no issues whatsoever with either wheel, and I'm saving them for future hedgehogs.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote