Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Toys (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What Should I Use In Dig Box? Is Fish Tank Gravel Safe? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9793)

PintoPrincess2 05-05-2011 08:20 AM

What Should I Use In Dig Box? Is Fish Tank Gravel Safe?

Basically as the subject line states I am trying to find out what type of material is safe and fun for hedgies to dig through in thier dig boxes. I have fish tank gravel but didn't know if they would try to eat it.... or if it was considered safe for hedgies. I am trying to find something that seems natural to them; something that would satisfy their burrowing instinct. ANy suggestions and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated but myself and my hedgies! :) Thank you!

PintoPrincess2 05-05-2011 08:26 AM

Re: What Should I Use In Dig Box? Is Fish Tank Gravel Safe?

Also I forgot to add; I want to make something more permenant and sturdy then just using a cardboard box so if anyone has any suggestions for that it would be appreicated as well. Thanks! :D

pearlthehedgie 05-05-2011 10:50 AM

We have a shoebox lid in Pearl's cage with some cleaned rocks gathered from outside. (I washed and even boiled them!!). They are a lot bigger than aquarium gravel--I'd say the biggest one is about 2 inches across. Anyway, they are nice and smooth and she doesn't burrow in them but does enjoy walking across them and searching for food among the rocks. One night we put her back in her cage with kibble in the rock bed and a full dish of the same thing and she went to the rocks to find the food! So I guess she likes it :P
I don't know about the aquarium gravel--I had the same concerns about using something so small so all the rocks we have are too big for her to possibly get in her mouth.

You can also use strips of fleece inside some kind of box for them to dig and burrow in.

NoDivision 05-05-2011 01:27 PM

I wouldn't suggest aquarium gravel - it's just too small, there's too much of a risk that a curious hedgie might do something silly.

PintoPrincess2 05-05-2011 05:49 PM

I thought so, about it being to small... mine like to taste everything so it would probably end up in their mouth at one point or another. But thank you for the ideas; Im going to try making a little rock garden for them tonight; those supplies I can find right in my yard! How economical! :) I know they also say to be careful what other fabrics you let them play with because of safety concerns; is flannel okay? It's the next softest material but im unsure about using it for hedgie bags or in strips for them. If anyone knows let me know. Thanks for all the other tips and suggestions! :)

MissC 05-05-2011 06:57 PM

I have been using several different sizes of aquarium gravel for Snarf's rock gardens without any issues: small...large...in between. He loves digging. I hide frozen mealworms and he hunts them down like a hedgie possessed.

For a container, I have been happiest with clay plant pot bases - the 1/2" deep - or so - plate things that clay pots sit in? You know? I have used plastic To-Go containers, ZipLoc sandwich and other reusable containers as well as Kleenex boxes (I lined them with duct tape) but have been happiest with the clay as it helps trim hedgie nails. ;)

PintoPrincess2 05-05-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissC
I have been using several different sizes of aquarium gravel for Snarf's rock gardens without any issues: small...large...in between. He loves digging. I hide frozen mealworms and he hunts them down like a hedgie possessed.

For a container, I have been happiest with clay plant pot bases - the 1/2" deep - or so - plate things that clay pots sit in? You know? I have used plastic To-Go containers, ZipLoc sandwich and other reusable containers as well as Kleenex boxes (I lined them with duct tape) but have been happiest with the clay as it helps trim hedgie nails. ;)

That also sounds like a good idea and once again affordable! How thrifty everyone here is! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

lilyann 05-05-2011 07:18 PM

never heard of i dig box! i got two hogs so im interested to learn more.

KamoLover 05-05-2011 08:11 PM

I use the bigger polished "floral" rocks...or Beta fish rocks....the ones at walmart next to all the fake flowers....about 3/4-1 in ch across. Theyre like 3 bucks!

PintoPrincess2 05-06-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KamoLover
I use the bigger polished "floral" rocks...or Beta fish rocks....the ones at walmart next to all the fake flowers....about 3/4-1 in ch across. Theyre like 3 bucks!

I actually have some of those at home; we used purple ones in our wedding decorations... i think im going to take all these ideas and put them together. Ill post pics when i finish. I just picked up something to use as the base this morning. Thanks! :)