Clipping Hedgie nails: HOW TO! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Clipping Hedgie nails: HOW TO!

Hey guys! I know a ton of you are wondering how to clip your hedgehogs nails, So i decides to post a thread on it! Here are the reasons most owners are afraid to cut their Hedgies nails:

1. Afraid of cutting the quick:
SOLUTION: The quick is red, If you don't clip the red part it wont bleed!

2. I don't know how:
SOLUTION: Gently grasp your hedgies foot take ferret nail clippers or baby nail clippers and cut a little bit further away from the red section repeat on each nail.

3. Hedgie wont let me:
SOLUTION: Put Hedgie on his back wait for him to unroll a bit and his hands/feet will pop out and cut it then, Or just put him on a scrap of fleece and place the nail clipper under his nail and clip.

Here is also a fantastic video on how to clip nails:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEMbIYT2qwk

Please post a reply if you have any more techniques I can add
TeddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Clipping Hedgie nails: HOW TO!

I do not yet own hedgehog but I am glad you posted this. I have not read about how to clip their nails yet. My concern would have been going too short and hurting the hedgie. But now that I know there is a visible indication of what is too short, I feel less afraid and glad to know that it is something I will be able to do myself.
Thanks!
Aleksia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksia
I do not yet own hedgehog but I am glad you posted this. I have not read about how to clip their nails yet. My concern would have been going too short and hurting the hedgie. But now that I know there is a visible indication of what is too short, I feel less afraid and glad to know that it is something I will be able to do myself.
Thanks!
You might be able to find a hedgie online on craigslist and you can find very friendly ones also here on HHC there is a breeder list. I would suggest not getting your future hedgie shipped it poses too much stress on them

Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

When I cut nails, I usually hold them in one hand and let their feet go between my fingers, then hold them against my chest with their back against my shirt with that same hand, and clip the nails with a baby nail clippers with the other hand.

They're easier to cut than dog or cat nails, because it's very easy to see where the quick is.

If you have a hedgehog who will not let you cut the nails and you've tried all other methods, put them on top of a wire grid and their legs will drop through. Then grasp the foot and cut the nails from under the wire grid.
We.love.Ginko likes this.
Judi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddysMommy
You might be able to find a hedgie online on craigslist and you can find very friendly ones also here on HHC there is a breeder list. I would suggest not getting your future hedgie shipped it poses too much stress on them
Yes, I know there is a breeder list here, and I have seen it. Unfortunately I live in Ohio, where I have only found one breeder who has a website. But then I found a site where others from Ohio also had listed some hedgies for sale. Craigslist I had not thought to check for a hedgie. But I'll keep that in mind.
But the reason I do not have one is not because I can't find any. It's because I am not ready. I am in a position and point in life that prevents me from being able to have one currently. But I do hope to have one in the future when I am able to, even if that won't be any time very soon.
Thanks though!
Also, I didn't know of the stress of shipping. But I had already planned to get a hedgie within traveling distance for myself anyway, because of the added expense of shipping.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi
If you have a hedgehog who will not let you cut the nails and you've tried all other methods, put them on top of a wire grid and their legs will drop through. Then grasp the foot and cut the nails from under the wire grid.
I've seen someone else say something similar about hedgies who are unwilling to let you clip. They said use a cookie rack. Good that you mentioned it, too. It's nice to know that there are ways that work to deal with that if needed.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksia
Quote:
I've seen someone else say something similar about hedgies who are unwilling to let you clip. They said use a cookie rack. Good that you mentioned it, too. It's nice to know that there are ways that work to deal with that if needed.
Quote:
When I cut nails, I usually hold them in one hand and let their feet go between my fingers, then hold them against my chest with their back against my shirt with that same hand, and clip the nails with a baby nail clippers with the other hand.

They're easier to cut than dog or cat nails, because it's very easy to see where the quick is.

Wow! I totally forgot this, I read about this before but I forgot to write Thanks so much!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

My hedgie Damien is always jumpy when it's time to cut his nails. He huffs, puffs, and very jumpy always moving. It's difficult to really sit him down and cut his nails, I've tried alot of methods but I only found one way that seems easier for me and him. (not saying this is the right way to do it, it's just what works for me)

I take him a bath, or a foot bath with warm water. The water softens his nails and I use some baby nail clippers. (I always use the same nail clippers so that there's no difference in smell to him.)
Since he doesn't like the lighting, when I cut his nails the lights are on and he likes to hide, so i let him hide his head under my shirt (or a blanket) and his feet are uncovered so I take this chance to cut his nails quickly & carefully before he tucks them in
And when it comes to cutting his front paws i hold him against my stomach (his back against my stomach while he faces foward), and he really huffs and jumps at this part but I hold one paw and cut each nail I can, while keeping my other hand on his tummy so he doesn't tuck his arm in or roll into a ball.
I jump too at times when he jumps because it kinda startles me
but I try to be still and keep him calm otherwise he squirms more.

This might sound a little confusing the way I described it, sorry!
simply_claire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_claire
My hedgie Damien is always jumpy when it's time to cut his nails. He huffs, puffs, and very jumpy always moving. It's difficult to really sit him down and cut his nails, I've tried alot of methods but I only found one way that seems easier for me and him. (not saying this is the right way to do it, it's just what works for me)

I take him a bath, or a foot bath with warm water. The water softens his nails and I use some baby nail clippers. (I always use the same nail clippers so that there's no difference in smell to him.)
Since he doesn't like the lighting, when I cut his nails the lights are on and he likes to hide, so i let him hide his head under my shirt (or a blanket) and his feet are uncovered so I take this chance to cut his nails quickly & carefully before he tucks them in
And when it comes to cutting his front paws i hold him against my stomach (his back against my stomach while he faces foward), and he really huffs and jumps at this part but I hold one paw and cut each nail I can, while keeping my other hand on his tummy so he doesn't tuck his arm in or roll into a ball.
I jump too at times when he jumps because it kinda startles me
but I try to be still and keep him calm otherwise he squirms more.

This might sound a little confusing the way I described it, sorry!

Hehe, I tried this method once... never going back he poked me this method and got angry at me then was a grumpy boy

THANKS FOR SHARING ANYWAYS IT MAY HELP ANOTHER OWNER
Old 04-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Actually, Claire, I've seen at least one other person here mention clipping a hedgie's nails while in a foot bath too, I think. Because they say that they won't curl up in a ball in the water so it is a good idea if you have a hard time getting to your hedgie's nails otherwise. So, there has been someone who suggested doing it that way.
And the way you described it was not confusing at all. You did a good job with your descriptions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in