Would my hedgehog enjoy a gutted stuffed-animal? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 05:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to drpepperheather
Default Would my hedgehog enjoy a gutted stuffed-animal?

Okay, so they aren't actually gutted stuffed animals. They are toy/bed thingies made to look like animals, and I think they are the most adorable things EVER! Marshall has an Alligator, Elephant, and Fish, but they are hand-wash only so I'm wondering if it would be worth the trouble. I'm also wondering if a hedgehog would actually even go inside of them, and was thinking if I did get one I would stuff it with fleece strips for the hedgehog's digging pleasure. Of course, the most important question would be if these are safe for a hedgehog?

Alligator: http://www.ferret.com/item/marshall-...eep-alligator/
Elephant: http://www.ferret.com/item/marshall-ele-fun/
Fish: http://www.ferret.com/item/marshall-...p-for-ferrets/

I also found a neat machine-washable fish, but it is about twice the cost and I'm not sure I'd want to pay that much (plus shipping) just to find that my hedgehog refuses to go into it.

Homemade Fish: http://www.fairfinders.com/hedgiebag...ish/index.html

Does anyone have any of these (or something similar), or have you maybe just heard something about them? I will have other places for my hedgehog to hide/sleep in scattered around his cage, but this would just add so much to the cute factor! (I know, I'm such a dork!)
drpepperheather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Would my hedgehog enjoy a gutted stuffed-animal?

It will depend on the hedgehog if they would go inside. Each hedgehog can be quite different in what they will or will not use. As long as the opening is big enough to remove a quilled up hedgehog, I say give it a shot. I may have to watch to see if they have any in the stores around here or order one... they are very cool. However, I noticed they mentioned a hanging bell in the elephant, I would remove that.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

They are definitely cute!

I would be concerned with washing, unless you don't mind hand washing it often. Hedgies can be pretty messy, and I know there's no way I'd let Inky sleep in the same blankets for any longer than a week (providing he didn't get them too dirty).

I've seen the fish before, and there are no little things on there that should be dangerous. I would say if a hedgie will use it and you like it, get it! The alligator and elephant I have not seen so I can't say anything regarding how suitable they would be. I would assume, though, that if they are made for ferrets they can easily withstand a hedgie.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have an octopus and they realy enjoy it!!

Old 01-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Gnarly

I bought the fish. If your hedgehog is on the large side, I would suggest you either try one of the other animals, or forgo it all together.
I intended to give this toy to my Gnarly, who is a bit on the pogzilla side. He was able to get in and all comfy, but once he raised his quills, he was quite stuck.

I ended up giving it to my much smaller male, Goku, who does not get stuck if his quills are raised.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Mika, The Octo-play looks really roomy. Are the holes in fact large (hard to tell since I don't know if you have really small hedgehogs or not. Those look really interesting and am wondering if Rose & Poptart might like something like that in their play area. They love the oatmeal boxes to run through, but I bet something soft would be more fun.

Snuffle!
Old 01-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Julie, I've looked at the octopus before and decided against it because the holes do seem small and also, if a hedgehog got in those arms and decided not to come out, it would almost impossible to get him out. I wonder if they make different sized ones because Mika's looks larger.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

That's what I was wondering, Nancy. From the image it looks like it could be a lot of fun, as long as you can remove a hedgehog that doesn't want to go... I'm thinking if Rose didn't want to come out it may be trouble... although honestly it took Chicago traffic to make Rose curl up in a tight ball.

Ferret.com says the octo-play is as follows: The main body is approximately 8 in. x 11.5 in. high with 5- 2.75 in. x 11in. long arms for tunneling fun.

a 2.75 diameter arm certainly wouldn't be big enough for a sizable hedgehog. Either Mita has small hedgehogs or there is a larger octo-play?

Snuffle!
Old 01-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Only one of our guys is allowed to play in the little octopus we got for them. He's on the tinier side-- our normal size hedgies barely fit through the mouth hole, let alone the arm holes and it's a real pain to get them out

That being said, the one that CAN fit in there loves it! AND doesn't even go to the bathroom in it (thankfully, cause I can't imagine that thing is any fun to wash)
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to drpepperheather

Thanks for all the input everyone!

I also thought the octopus looked small on the Web site. My question for Mika (well, Mika's owner, lol) is how is it to clean? I don't think I'd get the octopus, but I'd imagine they are probably all made out of the same material so cleaning them would be similar. Do you just spot clean it, or do you dunk the whole thing, hand scrub it, and then hang it to dry?
drpepperheather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in