Plastic tunnel toy--safe? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Plastic tunnel toy--safe?

So originally I was planning on trying to fashion a dryer tube into some sort of tunnel, but ultimately it's highly impractical. The sharp edges and rigidity of the ribs would probably not treat my hedgehog well, so I discarded the idea. I don't think it could be safely modified. But this product, which identifies itself as the "Super Thru-Way Ferret Tunnel" might work out ok. I was wondering what the rest of the community thinks.
Tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Plastic tunnel toy--safe?

ya know i was at petsmart the other day and they have a tube similar to that is more rigid. i thought it was very nice
javi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

What is the tunnel for? If you're using it as a ramp, dryer tubes are actually the most commonly used thing. They work very well and give hedgies a good hold.

if it's just laying flat, a lot of people use 4" PVC (cheap, and you can get a ton of it). Sometimes people just use elbows.

There are also these tubes, that are clear with ventilation: http://www.ferretdepot.com/Merchant2/me ... nnelsTubes

Regardless, what you linked looks like it would be fine... don't quote me on that though

Old 10-25-2009, 03:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm trying to help him explore outside his cage without makin' a mess. I'm not the first owner of Greenfield. More like the fourth. I like to think I'm the best. I've been tryin' to train his...umm..."relief habits"...but he's not too keen on the idea or I'm not doing it well enough. I was thinking of getting a dryer tube, but all I could find was a 25 dollar dryer kit. This plastic one was just about as expensive, and plenty long. Anyway, I got it, it showed up, and Greenfield has shown cautious interest in it so far. The metal ribs are all encased in plastic, and it looks like it will give him enough of a foothold without grabbing toenails or anything. If you do math, the shape of the inside is sort of like a cycloid, with the metal ribs at each cusp. The plastic is pretty thick, and it can be washed in the shower, or something similarly easy.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

As a follow up, if your hedgie decides to sleep in the tube, it will be difficult to extract him or her. Hedgehog spines will be able to make tiny punctures in the plastic that may become a problem over extended periods of time. If it becomes a problem, I'll mention it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in