Where did you guys find your hedgehog sized stuffed toys? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Where did you guys find your hedgehog sized stuffed toys?

So we have finally chosen/put a deposit on a baby, she's only 13 days old and we get to meet her in about a month!!! We have purchased everything she needs and now we're trying to find the extra stuff like toys and such. I've read this thread a lot and found a lot of good ideas and I know that many of you have found hedgie safe stuffed toys that are also not too big. I've been looking around but I haven't had much luck so I was just wondering where you all shopped for yours? We've tried the pet stores and I haven't had any luck finding something appropriately sized and SAFE for our future little one. We can't wait to bring her home and while she may not play with it I would like to find her something so she has the chance!

Moxxi was born April 15, 2013 <3
JazzJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Where did you guys find your hedgehog sized stuffed toys?

Shamus likes the monster truck hot wheel my step dad got him.

Sorry you said stuffed . I bought a stuffed hedgehog today from Walmart in the dog toys
Old 04-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here's one I found around the holidays...Christmas tree ornament. I'm sure you could search ebay or amazon.
[attachment=0:sjcbb7r3]image.jpg[/attachment:sjcbb7r3]

Pet stores often have cat toys (just no catnip!) that are good because they won't have small pieces that might get choked on. There was a recent thread that might help

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24593

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (147.3 KB, 20 views)

Henry!
http://youtu.be/C_Xg6Zt3vDo
sklock65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh I never thought of looking at plush Christmas ornaments what a good idea! We have been looking for stuff to put in a play pen that we got to make her out of cage exploring more fun since she'll get to do this a lot at the breeder. We got her a solid plastic ball (like ping pong ball sized), a biggish plastic four wheeler that's the perfect size for her to push around, and a translucent sand bucket that we're planning on setting on its side for her to crawl in. I just wanted to try a soft toy and see if she would take to it. I'll definitely check Amazon.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

You will come across things randomly and all of a sudden it becomes "I bet the hedgie would like that!" haha...well at least that's what happened to me once I got my hedgie. I'm always looking for new toys to try or things to take his picture with (I'm obsessed!). Anyways just be prepared that many hedgies will never really respond to "toys" the way we think they will. My Henry gets more excited about walking around the room under a shoebox cover than most of the things I've actually spent money on. Every hedgie is different!

Henry!
http://youtu.be/C_Xg6Zt3vDo
sklock65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

yeah I've heard that not all of them like toys, but I figure if I start with a few that are all different it will give her the chance to try out a bunch of different stuff if she wants and see if she cares about any of them or not. We'll be happy just to have her home no matter what she likes to do in her spare time

Old 06-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

When I was first preparing for my hedgie, I went to Petsmart to get her supplies.
I found a turtle cat toy with feathers (no catnip) on sale for about 3 dollars. I cut off the feathers and put it in her cage.
I haven't actually seen my hedgie actually play with it but when I wake up in the morning it always seems to be in a different corner of her cage!

Oakley was born on April 19th, 2013
oakley_the_hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

I found a rubberized Kong dog toy (itty bitty- good for like teacup poodle sized dogs) that he likes to play with. I put a few pieces of his kibble in it for him to roll around and "receive a treat" for. He also has two regular very lightweight ball toys (it was a set of four but I only keep 2 in the cage). You can sometimes find a scrap piece of 4" PVC pipe or even connect a few pieces together to make a tunnel.
mtvkillsbraincells is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Oh! I'm glad you mentioned the king I have one meant for hedgies/rats/rabbits that I bought for my old pet rat years ago and completely forgot about it! I should see if she'll take to it

Old 06-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rescue

Petco sells little foam-like balls for cats that are too big for a hedgie to chew on, no cat nip, and they don't have any loose parts. Houdini has one in his cage, and the other morning I woke up and he had shoved it behind his wheel. We also have small hotwheels cars for all of them. With the small cars though, it's important to make sure that they don't have the "open" windows that a hog could stick their food into, and that they don't have any sharp pieces.
AlexONeil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in