Wheel problems? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Wheel problems?

I just recently got my hedgehog, Sir Sonic Howard, on the 4th of January, he came with all the supplies he needs including the wheel. But the wheel he had was so tiny so on Amazon I purchased a silent 12" wheel expecting
Him to use it because he never used the small one. However during the day I leave him in his cage but at night I have a bigger cage/play time pin that I put him in and he runs around all in it and plays with his toys and eats but yet still won't get in the wheel. & at playtime he is very active and happy and he's warm to the touch. I leave my room at a constant 75 degrees, but I don't feel like he is getting enough light...although he is still really playful. What could be the problem?! I also feed him meal worms and crickets for a snack (not an every night thing) & the food the ppl gave me was kibbles and bits kitten food. His poo and pee are regular. He has hideouts and everything so I am trying to do everything right.
Josiejasmine1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Wheel problems?

If the wheel you got is the Silent Spinner wheel, those are dangerous for hedgehogs. The slit down the middle where the two pieces of plastic meet can catch toenails and do a lot of damage. The two safe options for store-bought wheels are the Flying Saucer Wheel or Comfort Wheel. Ultimately the best option for hedgehogs is a bucket wheel or cake topper wheel, which several members of this forum sell and ship, myself included.

If he's not used to wheeling, it may take a while before he figures it out. He may also just not be interested, which is perfectly fine. Occasionally hedgehogs aren't. He also may be wheeling when you're not there to see it. Some hedgehogs will only get on their wheel when it's completely dark and no one is watching. If there's poop on the wheel, that's a sure sign it's been used. You can also sprinkle flour on it to see if it gets used in the middle of the night.

Is he in the playpen for the whole night or just in the evenings?

I also suggest changing the food, Kibbles 'n Bits is crap, and kitten food is too high in fat for most adults. This should help: http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/kib ... oduce.html

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for your reply! I will def be changing foods tomorrow! I know the wheel hasn't been used because it's still perfectly clean and his play pin is set up right next to my bed the whole night with complete darkness and I usually watch him by turning on my phone light just to see what he's doing. Usually he's just running around in the pin. And his pin stays out the whole night because I want him to get a little bit of excercise since he has never used his wheel.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just make sure the entire playpen is able to be heated correctly. If you can't keep it at least 72-74 degrees, I would recommend only having him in the playpen for exercise for a few hours in the evening, not the entire night. Do you have a thermometer set up in the playpen when he's in there?

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

No I don't but I have a heater in my room and it stays pretty hot in here so I think temp wise everything is okay
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You should get a thermometer still, both for the cage and to use for the playpen when he's in there. It's a good idea to have an idea of what the actual temperature is so you can be sure it's warm enough and keep track of his preferences and what he's comfortable at. Going by what it feels like for you isn't a great judge since everyone has a different sensitivity and comfort level for temperature.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Along with what everyone else is saying, make sure you switch his food over slowly or he could stop eating or become sick. I believe a good mix is 1/4 of his new food and 3/4 of his old food for a week or so, then half and half for a bit, then 1/4 of his old food and 3/4 of his new food for a little while, and finally, the entire mix of his new food. Could take a little bit, just have patience. You want to make sure he's eating
Old 02-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

sooooo...one question. how the **** do you keep the wheels clean??? i swear my hedgie gets on it just to crap and run in it. i clean it every few days but it keeps her really filthy so i have to bathe her once a week. is there a trick to this or just something i gotta deal with? lol
Old 02-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rescue

You just gotta deal with it. Hedgies do their business while they run, so that leads to a dirty wheel. Sometimes they can be litter trained, but I think it's more effort than it's worth. It's how hedgies are. Don't sweat it, we all deal with poopy wheels.
AlexONeil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 03:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

oh great lol. ty. i was really hoping there was a trick to it lol. i am going to be litter training all my hedgies soon though :P just to keep up with maintenance easer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in