Wheel Changes - from Silent Spinner to CWS - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
ana

Default Wheel Changes - from Silent Spinner to CWS

Edit: Last night... (drum roll, please) she used her new wheel... FINALLY! YAYYYY!
I guess she just needed, uh, a month to get used to it being there first... lol.

Sooo, I guess you can pretty much disregard my original post...
First off, I want to say that I think the CWS is a fabulously designed wheel... So I don't want anyone to take this post the wrong way. I'm just looking for advice as to why my little girl happens to be that one odd hedgie that refuses to run on one.

I've actually talked to Reaper about it already - and, yes, I've tried washing it (and washing it again), adjusting the pitch every which way, offering treats, temporarily trapping her in it to help her understand what it's for, etc... Nothing has worked.

Previously, she had Silent Spinner, which was a total pain to clean (and I've read that it isn't the safest wheel either). While she didn't run on it every day, she did eventually take to it enough for the occasional late night jog... I replaced it with the Cake Walk and now she just outright won't run at all. She's very tidy (uses a litter box like a pro), so at first I thought "maybe she's just not pooping on it...?" and so I left a little pinch of flour in it to see if that was the case. She didn't disturb it at all though...

I feel like it could be a traction thing (SS had those little ridges in it) or a visual thing (again with the ridges + the color), but those are the only ideas I have left as to why she might not like it...

If anyone else has a CWS and has any ideas what the problem might be - or a solution, please please please let me know...

(Also, if you're considering a CWS, please don't let my post deter you - it really is a nice wheel. I haven't heard of another hedgie anywhere that doesn't like it - plus it has a LOT of pros over other wheels... Hence why I'm so determined to find an answer to this mystery instead of just replacing it.)
ana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Wheel Changes - from Silent Spinner to CWS

How long have you had it? Perhaps she just needs time for the change. How see through is it? Perhaps she doesn't like that and taping some paper or something on the outside of the wheel so it isn't as see through.

Have you tried putting her on it and gently turning it so she gets the idea? Also, set the angle slightly back so if she does slip she slips inward. I do this for babies so there's no risk of them sliding out as they are learning and getting used to the wheel.

It may just take her some time to decide she likes it.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
ana

Default Re: Wheel Changes - from Silent Spinner to CWS

She's had it since mid-march...

We've tried the turning thing, and tried a number of different angles too.

It's really kind of mind boggling...

I wouldn't really call it see through - it's like a milky/frosted color, but taping paper around it is definitely a new idea! My bf has suggested maybe drawing lines on it also (to make it more like the SS visually). Maybe we could just use the assembly with an opaque bucket if it is the color that bothers her... Hmmm!
ana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in