Are pine toys used for guinea pigs acceptable for hedgies? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 1 Post By Emc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Are pine toys used for guinea pigs acceptable for hedgies?

Hello, I'm brand new to this forum and looking for some information regarding toys for my one year old hedgie, Kepler. So far I've observed that he loves his wheel and toilet paper rolls for entertainment, but he's ignored plastic eggs and stuffed toys.

I'm keen on giving him more entertainment and was looking at a few pine wood guinea pig toys, such as a little wooden dumbbell with a bell in it, a wooden wicker ball, and a wooden seesaw short enough there wouldn't be any risk of him falling and hurting himself. However, because these toys that I've found online are all pine based, and it is possible he would end up chewing them, I was wondering whether this would pose any health risks? I know that pine shavings in his cage could have harmful effects, so I'm wondering whether anyone has information on whether pine toys could also be detrimental. The product info states that they are ultraviolet sterilized. Thank you!
Miss Aqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Pine is safe as long as it's been kiln dried, that goes for shavings as well as toys made from pine. One issue with any wooden items in the cage is that if your hedgehog ends up with mites you'll have to throw them away as they can harbor the mites.
Miss Aqua likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Emc

I disagree with kiln dried savings being safe; one issue with pine is abietic acid, which has a melting point of 155C. Kiln drying treats shavings up to 84C, so we really cannot say that this process makes pine shavings any safer than untreated pine shavings. Yes, many use kiln dried shavings with no issues - but there are plenty other folk who do have issues, and this cannot be ignored. If you want to play it safe, it is a major No to kiln dried shavings.

Solid pine wood is fine; untreated or not, because its solid. Its just the shavings you want to avoid.
Askeptosaurus likes this.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

I second the pine shavings skepticism but also add that you can use aspen shavings or paper shavings with no issues.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fun, pine, toys, wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in