How To Entertain a Hedgie that Won’t Use Wheel - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How To Entertain a Hedgie that Won’t Use Wheel

I know there’s dozens of posts about toys, but I was wondering if there were any in particular y’all have found effective for a hedgie that won’t use the wheel?

Penelope is 8 weeks old and has been here for 3 weeks. She knows how the wheel works but doesn’t use it. Last night she decided to audition for Circe du Soleil and climbed her cage wall, yeehawed over the wall a foot to the floor, and had a party in the luckily closed-off room all night. When I put her back this morning she instantly tried to climb back out. Point being I know she is super bored with her house! I have pipes to run through, little balls to nose about, an igloo, and empty duct tape rolls in there since she arrived, minorly switching them up now and then.

Thank you!

moustachemoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is there perhaps something about the wheel she doesn't like? Is it tilted, or small, or rough? Maybe post a photo of the wheel in its place to see if someone might notice something that could be a problem.

I have a bucket wheel and I noticed my hedgehog didn't run on it when it was leaning ever so slightly in such a way that would make him slip out.

Or, I saw someone mention this on here before-- maybe a little flour(?) sprinkled on the wheel will show if it was used in the night? Don't know if you've already tried that.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you let her free roam around a room or your house? Wheels are extremely useful tools for ensuring they’re getting sufficient exercise, but they do need time to run around other places besides their houses. They do get bored easily, and a change of scenery is definitely enriching. I live in my basement and I’ve “hedgehog proofed” the entire basement so that she can have time to stretch her legs and run around. It’s a consideration!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies!! I have a new Carolina Storm wheel for her, and I’ve tried adjusting the tilt a few times. Ill try it once more tonight and see if it makes a difference, and some flour too.

I would love to have a hedgehog proofed room soo much. I live in a basement too and I just can’t keep it warm enough in the summer. It stays about 62 degrees even if I put her in a small insulated room with both heat lamps and vents shut 😞 I’ll try and let her have a little more range to roam during the day, that’s a good idea. My first baby had noooo interest in exploring, but Pibble will take off at any chance lol. It’s definitey new for me!

Old 04-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moustachemoose View Post
Thanks for the replies!! I have a new Carolina Storm wheel for her, and I’ve tried adjusting the tilt a few times. Ill try it once more tonight and see if it makes a difference, and some flour too.

I would love to have a hedgehog proofed room soo much. I live in a basement too and I just can’t keep it warm enough in the summer. It stays about 62 degrees even if I put her in a small insulated room with both heat lamps and vents shut 😞 I’ll try and let her have a little more range to roam during the day, that’s a good idea. My first baby had noooo interest in exploring, but Pibble will take off at any chance lol. It’s definitey new for me!
It sounds like she’s definitely an explorer! I personally wouldn’t worry *too* much about the room temp if she’s running around and exploring; they’ll generate more body heat during their active periods anyway. As long as it’s not extended access, her body temp shouldn’t be of concern. I don’t let Christina have access whenever she wants, so it’s a controlled time, but it’s enough for her!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2019, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moustachemoose View Post
We made our Storm wheel but it should be the same? I'm going to attach 2 pics for comparison. The first is the new wheel set up the way it looks like it should be. But because of the angle of the sides of the bucket, the running part is actually angled down.

The second pic is angled correctly because, even though the white center support looks quite angled, the bucket side (where he runs) is parallel to the ground. (pardon the messy litter -- I just took that photo so you could see the difference)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel.jpg (119.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190428_192950b.jpg (143.2 KB, 8 views)

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com

Last edited by Mecki; 04-28-2019 at 10:40 PM. Reason: pic sideways
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you all, I appreciate it very much. I had to make her a new C&C cage with higher walls so she couldn’t climb out, and it’s much bigger too. Since the switch she has discovered her wheel in earnest !! I’ve caught her on it a few times when I was checking her temps before I went to bed—Cecil always scurried to his covers when I walked in on him wheeling, but she just stops in the wheel and stares at me like Mom !! go away!!! LOL so I’d say her issues have been resolved 🙂

Old 05-14-2019, 12:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

My hedgehog doesn’t use his wheel either. He just runs in circles inside his cage XD
NewtonTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in