Sand box journey - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2019, 07:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sand box journey

I know there are varying opinions on this, but I wanted to share my experience over the last month or two since I’ve started offering my hog a sandbox. I started giving him one in response to a long post on this that popped up on this forum about the pros and cons of them. He has literally been transformed into a new hog. I wouldn’t say he was filthy before, but he did require a wash anywhere from once a month to once a week because of feet covered in poop or dirty looking quills. Since he’s had a sand box I have literally never seen a spec of poop on him, on his feet, or even his nails. In addition his belly fur seems a lot softer and possibly even thicker and whiter. His quills also look extra shiny! Anyways I felt like this journey l was important to share, I can’t imagive not giving him sand now after seeing how much better he seems to look and feel! 🦔 And I reckon he likes me better for not making him get wet all the time, water really scared him. 🦔 ❤️
Emc likes this.
akitka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Not critizing. Because this really is amazing, and its so useful that your sharing this.

But for benefits of other readers who read this and think its a great story may want to know what sand you used - perhaps a picture of the bag or the name and brand, or even a link just so people know what one it is that your saying works wonders

Also if your only giveing it to him once a week, how come he never has poop on his feet or dirt anywhere ?? Or are you leaving it in the cage and then changing it once a week ??
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2019, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, I'm interested in more details also.
Chowder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

That’s a great experience! From your description, it sounds like the same idea as an exfoliating salt scrub we would use 🙂 I’m glad your kiddo enjoys it!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2019, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh yes good point. This is the brand I’ve been using. It seems very soft sand, I got it on amazon. I give him the sandbox I would say about five days a week now, then change out the sand about once a week. Second pic is the log sand box I made him. At first I used a low-walled dish type thing but he kicks sand absolutely everywhere when he’s rolling in it so I had to make something more covered lol.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

I've brought some pro rep dessert sand its due Monday, so I'll be able to see whats that like for myself. If it doesnt do too well I'm trying this one !! I love that log sand box its really cool whats it made from ??
Old 03-31-2019, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

That sounds good, let us know how you get on with it! I’m curious to see if other hogs love the sand as much. The log is just made from a rigid card like mounting board that I bend and glue together, it’s great for making toys.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

Ooo I have lots of that, I'm gonna play next weekend !!!!
I'll defintly let everyone know how Holly goes with her sand either Monday or Tuesday.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitka View Post
Oh yes good point. This is the brand I’ve been using. It seems very soft sand, I got it on amazon. I give him the sandbox I would say about five days a week now, then change out the sand about once a week. Second pic is the log sand box I made him. At first I used a low-walled dish type thing but he kicks sand absolutely everywhere when he’s rolling in it so I had to make something more covered lol.
howdy, where did you get your rigid cardboard?
This sounds weird, but I'm really trying to do something about his stinkiness
pepperthahedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 04:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ria

Its rigid card, basically is like card but thicker but its not as thick as cardboard. Its card thats around 300gsm thickness.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in