Enrichment ideas? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Enrichment ideas?

Ive always struggled for toys and entertainment for my hog as he is not easily pleased! Cat balls are a no go. tunnels he just sits in once and never return. Other than a wheel, do you guys have any ideas?
Emma_Grace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Enrichment ideas?

Do you have a dig box? Mine loves his dig box! I have river pebbles in it (big enough so they don't fit in his mouth but not too big) and I hide mealies in it sometimes, so he has to dig them out. He loves it you can also put fleece strips in it - or something else, but the stones are a big hit here!

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

i have the same problem with Clem! She doesn't care about anything else but her wheel. Can't wait to hear some ideas!

Old 10-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hot Wheels are the most popular with my gang.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

For Lily, I got a bunch of things that I could hide treats in, under, or around. Plastic aquarium plants (making sure of no sharp pointy bits), a dig box, a couple mini stuffed animals, and this "Hide and Go Treat" bird toy - http://s.petco.com/assets/product_image ... 06427C.jpg I started hiding treats for every night, thawed frozen crickets, mealworm pupae, and a couple of cat treats that I got for her. It only took her a couple nights to figure things out, and after that as soon as I'd put her back in her cage, she did her "rounds", stopping by every hiding place to check for treats. I especially loved the "Hide and Go Treat" one - I trained her into it, not sure if she'd find the cricket right away and not wanting it hanging around the cage all night. The first time, I left the cricket hanging half out, then moved it a bit more in the next time, etc. She learned to move the door with her nose pretty quickly!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
For Lily, I got a bunch of things that I could hide treats in, under, or around. Plastic aquarium plants (making sure of no sharp pointy bits), a dig box, a couple mini stuffed animals, and this "Hide and Go Treat" bird toy - http://s.petco.com/assets/product_image ... 06427C.jpg I started hiding treats for every night, thawed frozen crickets, mealworm pupae, and a couple of cat treats that I got for her. It only took her a couple nights to figure things out, and after that as soon as I'd put her back in her cage, she did her "rounds", stopping by every hiding place to check for treats. I especially loved the "Hide and Go Treat" one - I trained her into it, not sure if she'd find the cricket right away and not wanting it hanging around the cage all night. The first time, I left the cricket hanging half out, then moved it a bit more in the next time, etc. She learned to move the door with her nose pretty quickly!
What do you use for cat treats?! I have hidden mealworms in Clem's cage before and she just ignores them, which is weird because when I feed them to her during play time, she gobbles them down so fast. (given i do have to basically slap her in the face with them before she realizes they're there)
Old 10-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It could be she has trouble finding them? Some hedgehogs aren't really the best hunters. That was why I used frozen crickets and aliens - they don't move or hide themselves further, so they wouldn't get loose in my room & I could check to make sure she'd eaten them all.

These are some of the cat treats I tried out with Lily. I worked at a pet store and had a ton of time to browse for possible treat & enrichment item ideas for her while straightening shelves, etc. These are the treats that I felt had good ingredients and wouldn't pose any problems for Lily -

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInUS%2FNo Greenies chicken flavored, I cut them in half for Lily since they were a bit big. She wasn't a huge fan of these though, and ignored them most of the time. I've seen other people have better luck with them though.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInUS%2FNo PureBites freeze-dried treats, I used the shrimp ones to try a different meat for her. She liked them alright, she ignored them once in awhile, but usually ate them. I usually only gave her one every couple nights in combination with other treats hidden, just to make sure she wouldn't have issues with them being freeze-dried.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=4280382 Wellness Pure Delights jerky treats, these ones I was a bit leery of because of them being a bit tougher. I cut them in half, just to be sure she wouldn't choke on them, and she really liked them. I think I gave her the chicken/lamb ones.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInUS%2FNo Catswell treats, these ones I didn't get a chance to try, but I'm adding them anyway, because I think they'd make great treats. I'm not sure of the texture though, so they might be tough or sticky like the Wellness jerky treats. I'm not sure if the flaxseed and vitamins would really give much benefit with just being treats, but they can't hurt!

http://www.petco.com/product/115542/Nat ... reats.aspx Natural Balance treats, I got the rabbit flavored ones, again, for a different meat to try. Lily wasn't a huge fan, unfortunately, but I'm not sure if it was because of the different meat or what.

You could also hide little bits of veggies, fruits, or plain cooked meat if you wanted, if there's any that she likes a lot. I just liked the cat treats for being easy to have on hand and ready to go, and not having to worry about them spoiling too fast, and they all have great ingredients.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

I too have been searching for idea to keep my guy busy. I just started getting crickets. If I freeze them over night, do they come alive again when dethawed?I doubt it, but my boyfriend's got me thinking and I don't want crickets jumping around the house.If someone can assure me, I'll start sticking them in his dig box.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Nope, overnight is plenty of time to kill them.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to msredhead

Thanks for these ideas - is it possible to post a picture of the dig box with the pebbles in it? Auri doesn't seem to like to dig at anything, but I'm always up for trying new things. She has a tube, but she just sits in it with her butt sticking out. Her toilet paper tube is her best friend though! She loves that thing lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in