Hunting & Scavenging Toys - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Hunting & Scavenging Toys

I know there's threads for toys and such, but I thought I'd try starting one specifically for toys that can be used to hide treats, food, etc. for hunting, scavenging, and providing enrichment a bit more like in the wild. I just got a bunch of new toys for Lily for her birthday that I thought would be good for hiding things in, but wanted to get more ideas after I've shared everything I can think of or remember from other toy posts. So feel free to point out any easy make-it-yourself toys that I didn't think of/remember, or things you've found in stores that might work well, or point out any possible problems with toys that I mention!

Puppy Kong - The smallest size of kong, the opening is big enough to allow frozen crickets, kibble, or other treats. It could be a hazard for getting stuck on a nose, though, so it may be one that's better for supervised play time.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2750598

Aquarium Plants - There's plenty of different kinds of these. Personally, I look for silk plants because the plastic ones can have sharp edges or points that could cut or poke eyes. Plants can be used for decoration, or hiding treats in or around.

Aquarium Decorations - I don't have any of these yet, but looking at the ones at the pet store I work at, some of these could possibly be good decorations or places to hide treats. I haven't gotten any yet, because most of the ones we have either have sharp edges, or paint that could encourage chewing or chip off and be eaten. I'm not sure how safe that'd be, if the paint is nontoxic or not...

Hide N' Go Treat - A bird toy, I figured that it was one that would be easier for a hedgehog to figure out, since you just have to push the door to the side with the handle in order to get to the treat, or have it fall out. I think a hedgehog could figure it out, though I'll find out soon enough with Lily!
http://www.petco.com/product/114897/Sup ... erralID=NA

Egg carton sections - Good for hiding treats under, light and easy to flip over. I think I remember suggestions to stay with cardboard only, since foam could be eaten? I can't remember though.

Plastic Easter eggs - Put the treats inside, or just to play with and roll around. I know the edges on some halves are sharp though, so best to check them before putting them in the cage.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hunting & Scavenging Toys

i had these lying around prior to getting Norma but couldnt bring myself to get rid of them, luckily they work well for treats... kinda like the easter eggs, but its cuter. :P
the picture shows one split into its two halves, but i have two of them.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

I like the egg carton idea! *runs off to find some* Basil doesn't seem to be too big on toys (ie mini tennis ball) but he does love his mealies! I think I'll freeze them first so they don't escape...

Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

I bought a few easter eggs at a garage sale & have been keeping them in the mealie container. Hoping to make them smell more appealing. We'll see how they go over.

I love the egg carton idea. Who's hedgie is it that likes to wear the carton like a turtle shell & run around with it on? So cute!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

My daughter braided some fleece strips together. I suspended the braid from the top of the cage with longer fleece strips. Toffee will come out of her igloo and lunge at the braid and it will bounce around her head and she chases it. Too funny...

My Sweeties

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

i love that braid idea.. i may have to try that with some of my scraps!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in