Hedgehog Central banner

New owner - pinkish sticky stuff found in cage

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  lilyann 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

This is weird! My wife and i recently adopted our first hedgie! He was about 13 weeks when we got him from the breeder. His name is Oscar the grouch. We have had him for about 3 weeks now. The first week we had him i noticed a tiny bit of "pinkish" sticky stuff in his wheel. Very little, and it never reappeared. Today when i woke up we found quite a bit of this same stuff inside his pvc tube. It was smeared inside like he had dragged something through the tube. Its really strange, and almost impossible to wash off. Like the residue from a sticker or something. It looks kinda like raspberry or something. It doesnt look like blood. Of course i thout of semen, but i cant understand the color, or stickyness. I woke up grumpy and put him in a glass bowl to inspect his body, but there is no sign of anything on him. What the heck could this be??? He eats proplan cat food mixed with a bit of earth born holistic that the breeder provided. He acts completely normal. He was wheeling like a mad man last night and earing normally. I am stumped. I was looking at his toys and stuff to see if maybe some dye came from somewhere, but i am having no luck. His bedding is blue fleece, and his house is a red comfy tent that is used for birds. Maybe he was chewing on the tent? Any clues? Thanks in advance for any advice. All the best! Chad

#3 ·
I would suggest changing his liners to white and try to see the colour of his urine. It does seem like it could be semen, and if it's pink, it's best to make sure his urine is a natural colour first. I think that would be the easiest thing to rule out initially.

It could be possible that perhaps he's chewing on the red, and annointing on it. Did you wash it prior to putting it in the cage? If colour comes off the red, it may also explain the pinkness.

#4 ·
Thanks for the bump! His fleece is very light baby blue, and so far he urinates in his wheel. Everything appears normal. Thats why its so bizarre. I did wash his tent before we brought him home. He acts like i would expect a new hedgie to behave. he huffs when we first get him out the cage, but usually calms down. I will thoroughly inspect his tent when he gets up tonight, and see if hes chewing it. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.