Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Weight question on new hedgie not sure where to post
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
hedgieluv

Default Re: Weight question on new hedgie not sure where to post

Hi chas915,
Just for some comparison, I have a very small hedgie who is only 240 grams at 5 months. She is healthy and happy and wheels nightly. I keep track of her daily intake, which went down at about 4 months, but is still eating babycat, which is pretty high fat for a hedgie. She is active and cuddles with me at least an hour a day. She was the runt of the litter, she had two brothers who pushed her out of the igloo and she escaped 4 times at the breeders! She has never escaped since she has her own place, lots of heat, and her very own wheel.

I feed Persephone 20 friskies (which she was on from the breeder), 30 green pea and duck, and 40 babycat every night. I tried to add Innova, but she won't touch it. You might consider adding some different kibble. The Blue Buffalo is a good food, maybe add another good quality food for variety? I think it was Lizardgirl (correct me if I'm wrong) who cited a study that showed people ate more when they were offered multiple choices. Extrapolating that to hedgies, maybe offering more choices will help increase the amount they eat?

Good luck to you both! I hope your hedgie is thriving with your good care.

hedgieluv is offline   Reply With Quote