Best Choice of Housing - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BabiieKakesxOx Send a message via MSN to BabiieKakesxOx Send a message via Yahoo to BabiieKakesxOx
Unhappy Best Choice of Housing

So, I got my 2nd hedgie this past friday.My last one i got in september from a great breeder in saugerties NY. Anyways, my last one came home in a sterilite (not sure if its a 66 or 76 qt but its big) a water bottle a ceramic food dish and a upside down pencil, paper clip school teacher bin. Well he hated the house and preffered sleeping in a blanket or in my arms wrapped in his blanket he was tiny and loved to be cuddled so i figured eh ill never use the house any more and tossed it. Hes still currently happy with his blankies 8 months later . My new little guy came home from same breeder with same contents in his cage, however he loves that house piece. I want to get him a new house since its not very dark and if he continues to grow he wont fit in it much longer. I was wondering what is the best choice for a home: A sleep sack, a plastic igloo with a fleece igloo cover, or a fleece igloo? I tried the blanket with this little guy and he avoids it. I had igloos with guinea pigs in the past and it seemed to make them skiddish and not as social so I always took it away after they became familiar with their surroundings. I saw a fleece igloo at the pet store but it looked cheaply made. Any suggestions are welcome, I found a few places to buy the items im looking for but I want to make the best choice for him. Thanks, Kayla
BabiieKakesxOx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315
Default Re: Best Choice of Housing

I would say a plastic igloo with a fleece cover.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

I guess it probably depends on the hedge hog? In his cage, I have a small plastic igloo with my t shirt around it. I have a hedgie hat. i have a sleep bag. He ALWAYS chooses the little igloo. I even put a bigger one in there because he is outgrowing the little one. But he ignores it, goes in to the little one and pulls the t-shirt flaps in with him. too funny

My Sweeties

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a door cut out of a plastic flower pot that Nigel loves. It's cheap, it's dark, and with spring coming they should be easy to find.
Godzilla Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

It used to be that Norman loved sleeping in the shirt that I had in his cage. Over the past few weeks he now insists on only sleeping in his plastic igloo, refusing to sleep in anything else if he's in his pen (outside is a totally different matter). I got him the smallest size one when I first got him since it looked big enough. He has since grown and has to squeeze through the opening to get in and out and there's almost no room once he curls up to sleep. I think he actually prefers the igloo now becuase it's nice and snug, plus he likes to squeeze through things and burrow. I've ended up placing the igloo on top of the shirt I have in there so he has something extra to dig at, and keeps him sleeping on something with my scent. He's mellowed out even more since I did that.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BabiieKakesxOx Send a message via MSN to BabiieKakesxOx Send a message via Yahoo to BabiieKakesxOx

which sized igloo do you have i know the itty bitty ones would be too small for him my hamster even too fat for his lol. Ive seen mini and large ones but i cant see the diffrent. My other hedgie is small compared to my new little guy his mom was petite and well sonics mom wasnt. I think the ones with the fleece cover is considered large? the mini one i also havent seen in any pet store. Im thinking igloo, a nice dark blue one since his cage is blue and well hes supposed to be a blue hedge hog lol
Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have the mini one. It's about 6" across. Seems a little tight, but he's happy with it so I am too.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Niblet sleeps in a ferret tent. I got it from Petco. He loves that thing!! ....so much so that I had to buy two of them so that he still has one in his tent on laundry day.

The tent (in my opinion) is great because it zips on the sides so it can be easily gotten into if you need to get hedgie out. The bottom of the tent is lined with fuzzy stuff but you could easily cut a piece of fleece and hand sew it to the inside. I fill Niblet's tent with fleece strips for him to burrow in and he even drags in more fleece strips from his cage into his tent. He is a hoarder.

This is the best thing that we have found for Niblet. We tried several other options but he likes to burrow and be warm and this was the only thing that was to his liking.

I attached a picture so you could see what the tent looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0083-1.jpg (337.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Lightbulb Re: Best Choice of Housing

thats really nifty! is it easy to clean? My first hedgie Bandit sleeps in a blankkie, wont trade anything for his blankie i usually wash it 1-2x a week and he has a spare for when its in the wash. My new little guy hasnt chosen anything yet tried a blankie and he didnt like it he preffered being in my hand alone. Was it a good price? Ive seen sleep sacks and other homes go for between $15+ im worried he wont like it and ill have a furry oven mit lol Also my cage doesnt have wire does it stay upright or is it tethered to somthing?
Old 04-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Breeders

I use 6 pack coolers for my hedgehog houses I know i'm a redneck lol! I just cut out a 4inch hole with the hole saw and add a peice of 4inch PVC pipe for a hallway. The cooler stays nice and warm since it's insulated and it helps big time keeping hoglets from wandering away/out from the nest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluecoolerhouse.jpg (50.9 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg pinkcoolerhouse.jpg (52.4 KB, 303 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in