Let's talk about cooling our hot hogs now!!! lol - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Let's talk about cooling our hot hogs now!!! lol

The warm weather is starting to come upon us (hurray!!!!!! I was getting pretty sick of snow and cold!!!) and I do not have air conditioning in my home. I have an old farm house which, generally stays pretty cool (I pull shades on the sunny side etc) but there are going to be days when my hoggie baby will be warm.

What is the general thought about those cooling tablets they have for chinchillas to cool themselves on?

I know you are never to have a direct fan blowing on their sweet quill bodies.......or put their cages near a window with a breeze etc. I have heard of the blue ice blocks laying on top of the lid of your cage......

Thanks! I got my little lady in the middle of Jan. and kept her alive without freezing her now I am ready not to melt her in the summer!!!
I love her to pieces!

KathyTNY
They set off together down the path to return the fresh laundry to the little animals and birds in the neighbourhood. Lucie mounts the stile and turns to thank Mrs. Tiggy-winkle. "But what a very odd thing!" Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is running running running up the hill. Her cap, shawl, and print gown are nowhere to be seen. How small and brown she has grown and covered with prickles! "Why! Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is nothing but a HEDGEHOG!"

Beatrix Potter - The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle
KathyTNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Let's talk about cooling our hot hogs now!!! lol

I don't know for sure, but just an idea. Maybe keep like a corn bag that has been kept in the fridge or freezer in a section of the cage so the hedgie can cool down. I use them in the summer when it gets too hot and it doesn't freeze you, just cools you down. Also they kind of radiate cold so it might cool down the air. They're often wrapped in cloth too so it might be a barrier for the hedgie.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Most people here will suggest getting a slab of tile and placing it in a corner of a cage. Your hedgie can then choose to go on the slab or not, depending on how hot they are

Old 04-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

I had a similar issue with my Guinna pigs; the blue ice-pack trick works really well. I also did the corn thing wrapped in paper tower and they would go lean against it until they cooled down. Im sure your hedgie knows when he is getting uncomfortably cold, give him some credit :P
Vask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would defer to Nancy!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

We put frozen water bottles in the rabbit's cage. Bunny will lie near or on the bottle when warm. I am more comfortable with the water bottle, rather than blue ice pack, in case the plastic is nibbled and liquid is accessed. (though that is more likely with rabbit, than hedgehog. It's recycling though.)
owenhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in