log cabins - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default log cabins

do people know where i could find quality log cabins or wooden houses for hedgies, something like this one? http://i022.radikal.ru/0801/f3/060619f988bc.jpg

i googled it, but all the results were about dog houses...

also, are there good stores that specialize in accessories for small animals (within the States)?
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: log cabins

I wouldn't get a wooden house for a hedgehog unless it had seal or something over it that was hedgehog safe. Wood can harbor mites and it's hard to disinfect.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Breeders

A plastic igloo is a better/safer choice. Some people(Nancy)sell some really cool igloo covers to make it look real pretty.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

how can such polished logs harbor anything? [link removed due to privacy concerns]
Old 06-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

I still wouldn't risk the extra chance of having it bring mites into the cage. I think they can still borrow deep into the wood, and they are probably there from the start [before they get varnished].
Old 06-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

LOL and that is why my facebook settings are set to "friends only" for everything.

I agree, those logs don't appear polished at all, you can see threads of shredded wood on the top one, cracks in the sides.

I guess its your choice, we are just letting you know they can harbor mites. Personally I do everything I can to avoid exposing my hedgies to mites or things that can harbor mites.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbshappy71
LOL and that is why my facebook settings are set to "friends only" for everything.

I agree, those logs don't appear polished at all, you can see threads of shredded wood on the top one, cracks in the sides.

I guess its your choice, we are just letting you know they can harbor mites. Personally I do everything I can to avoid exposing my hedgies to mites or things that can harbor mites.
yes, but where would i find such houses? do pet stores carry them? i hear the ones in canada always do, but i'm not sure about here.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

The log huts probably would not come with mites but if hedgie has or ever gets mites, you'd have to throw it out. The mites live in the little cracks and under the bark. Even if the hut doesn't have bark on it, some do, some don't, all wood has little cracks.

I will say from personal experience that those log huts get nasty really fast. I had a rescue come in a few years ago with one and after a good washing I thought I'd let him keep it. Well after picking poop off the top of it and having to wash it constantly, it was just NASTY! These things don't wash well and take some time to dry. My concern was also mold growth from it taking so long to dry.

I would think all petstores would sell them.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi all! I'm new to the forum, this is actually my first post ever, but I'd like to ask about the wooden huts as well. I bought one of those wooden twigloo's before I got Remmington because my local pet store was out of the big plastic ones. He was sleeping in it every night but he's gotten to be considerably bigger since I got him back in February and it seems like he's smushed so I bought him a big plastic igloo.....and he wants nothing to do with it. Now he just sleeps under his litter box which just seems un comfortable and smelly.
So I put the twigloo back a few days ago and he's back to sleeping in it. Any suggestions on getting him to use the plastic one or is he just an odd ball who likes to be squished?
Thanks
Sam
samfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Have you tried a hedgiebag, which is a warm and snugglely, fleece type bag that you can make easily, he might like that better than his igloo?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in