Hedgehog Central banner

Cage Cleaning

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  nougat 
#1 ·
I was just curious what do you use to clean your cages?

I currently use Cage Clean and Green Works, I assume they're safe. When washing fleece liners are there any detergents I shouldn't use? I've been using Gain and it has a bit of a perfume to it. Does that matter at all?

#4 ·
I throw the flying saucer tops into a bucket of water and let them soak all day. Then when I get home rinse with hot water and use a loofah-type scrubber but usually scrubbing isn't needed if they've soaked.

Poopies are removed through the week as needed, really fresh urine is mopped up in the morning to avoid the dried smell through the week.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I use a 50/50 vinegar and water mix, and a diluted chlorhexidine solution to clean Lily's wheel, marble tile, and cage. I wash her food/water bowls with dish soap and rinse well. And I wash her liners with Tide Free, which is free of dye and is scentless.

#7 ·
Those are good ideas, I think I'll try the Arm&Hammer and vinegar/water solution. It beats spending $6-$8 every other week on another bottle of Cage Clean.

I hate wasting the paper towels too, I guess I could start using dish cloths.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.