Dig Box - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dig Box

The wheel broke.

Yep, the bolt stripped and it can no longer be fastened. So, today or tomorrow, my uncle will visit and see if he can fix the wheel. The wheel broke Wednesday or Thursday.

In the mean time, I created a dig box for Igor. He doesn't urinate or number two if he doesn't have a wheel, so I immediately panicked and got scared that he might get compacted.

I bought a largish container with a lid a while ago, in mind of a dig box separate of the cage, but never found any proper bedding for dig material.

When the wheel broke, I carved a entrance big enough for Igor into the front, tore up two shirts of fine, and shredded some egg cartons for material to dig in. I threw in some worms, ham, and a cockroach for him.

He immediately took to it, and literally seeked out all of the insects in there. He even urinated and pooped in there too! (Which I'm so glad about.)

I switched the cockroach with kibble, since I can't give him a roach every day, only once a week He doesn't go for the kibble as much, but loves the ham. I might even cook some chicken for him to go into the box.

Only bad thing I worry about is him not excreting enough. The amount on his wheel is a lot more than what I find in the box, nut atleast its something.
Brooke@Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 01:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Why can he only have 1 roache a week?

If you make sure your room has no where he can go under and get stuck then you could have him run around for an hour before going to be to get a little more exercise.
Your dig box sounds great!

The ham don't feed it too much, the way ham is processed it can contain a lot of salt and other preservatives, which isn't too good for our pets.
Plain cooked chicken is a good idea too.
Which worms are you feeding? If mealworms be careful how many you feed because they can strip calcium from their body.

It's great the dig box seems to be making an okay switch for the wheel while you wait for it to see if its fixable.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2019, 04:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

I feed him adult dubia roaches, so they're quite big, and expensive if I am to buy enough to give him one every day, and I don't have a big enough container or space to house 31 dubia roaches each month, and I'm scared they'll breed, and they stink and are messy.

I only buy 5 every month, 1 for every week. It requires less resources, and they are pretty big.

I don't give him a lot of mealworms, only 2 every day, so 14 a week, as suggested.

and thank you! the wheel is fixed again, but I'm gonna get a temporary new wheel out of johburg end of this month since I cant rely on the wheel I currently have.

And im done with the ham, didn't give him too much, only enough to keep him interested in the box
Brooke@Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

Can you not get 15 medium dubai roaches instead and feed 2 in a week? They are great for nutrients that's all.
Having them breed isnt that bad, in the long run if you learn about breeding them it could work out cheaper for you and you get more to feed igor!

I'm glad the wheel is okay now definitely a good idea to replace it, I love you make **** dig box though!
Old 09-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

I could...I’ll speak to my mom about it, buy a bigger box for them.
Igor will definitely thank you for making me consider this 😂 he loves his roaches.
Brooke2Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

Aw Holly loves hers too but I cant breed them because my mum wont allow live insects in the house longer than the 24hours gut loading where you feed them live so you can do some researching and find out how to breed them then igor gets more and its less money for you. Both of you win. Good luck!!
Old 09-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you! I’ll try my best!
Old 09-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

I can try help you find some the info if you struggle, just say! There may be a lot of people who know on here!
Old 09-10-2019, 03:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you, my mom said it’s fine if I buy 15 every month, so we’ll get a bigger container at the end of the month for the 15. I’ll ask if I have questions on the way.

One early question though, for water, am I allowed to use water crystals?
Old 09-10-2019, 03:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ria

Yea water crystles or some people use soaked tissues its your choice which you want to use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in