Cage Setup Examples - Page 9 - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #81 (permalink)

Default Re: Cage Setup Examples

Quote:
I think lighting is very important b/c it provides uva/uvb rays they would naturally get in the wild.
Actually, you'd have to buy special full-spectrum lights to be getting the natural light rays. The lights and having them on and off on a schedule is important to give our hedgies a "calendar" to go by, distinguishing night and day.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually, you'd have to buy special full-spectrum lights to be getting the natural light rays. The lights and having them on and off on a schedule is important to give our hedgies a "calendar" to go by, distinguishing night and day.

I'm familiar with this as I breed chameleons. Timers are amazing, but not needed if you turn lights off an on at the correct times everyday. The Reptisun 5.0 is a perfect light for hedgies and chameleons. On this subject, compact light shouldn't be used b/c they have done studies that have shown it causes animals (esp those with sensitive eyes) to have eye problems, or go blind.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #83 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bengall77

Here is Quillbert's place, newly renovated. He was in the large sterilite tub before but I decided to take the time and add on a bedroom since he's already gotten so much bigger in the 2 weeks that I've had him.

It's a basic 126 quart sterilite tub connected to a 25 quart tub with plastic gutter that I cut down to size, drilled, and zip tied to the containers. I thought that the gutter would be better than a pvc pipe because I'm afraid that he'd try to hang out in the tube and hide from me (we're still bonding) and that it would be easier to take apart and clean. Plus if he ever gets stuck I can just cut the ties and lift off the top. His daddy is a big boy and he shows signs of following in the same steps so I'm glad that I added more room. Now he actually has room for his toys.

Almost forgot to mention, that window behind his cage is a north facing window and gets very even, indirect sunlight for about 12 hours. I'd never let him overheat in a sunbeam. I even have two thermometers because I'm just that paranoid about my baby. So no worries! He stays at a steady 75-77 degrees Fahrenheit.

And the "bedroom" has a lid with plenty of ventilation holes to prevent Quillbert from taking himself for a walk.

Bengall77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #84 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hdcross

Here is the cage set up I have for Hyde

I used a 90 Degree wide sweeping piece of 4in PVC pip to connect the containers
And the tiles are some my dad had around, I'm using them as weights/ a cool place for him to sit if he gets hot. The one under his wheel also helps stabilize his comfort wheel, and makes cleaning easier cause it gets the dirtiest and i just take it out and wash it.

p.s. Sorry its somewhat dirty in the pics, Its clean now, I just had him out for pics and a foot bath and took the pics before my camera died.

-HD Cross

[attachment=0:cjkuzat3]CIMG8746.JPG[/attachment:cjkuzat3]
[attachment=1:cjkuzat3]CIMG8720.JPG[/attachment:cjkuzat3]
[attachment=2:cjkuzat3]CIMG8721.JPG[/attachment:cjkuzat3]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG8721.JPG (263.3 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8720.JPG (265.8 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8746.JPG (261.3 KB, 304 views)
Nikkinak44 likes this.

hdcross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #85 (permalink)

Here's my setup:

I have a Marchioro 32x20 cage. My boyfriend and I modified it to have a loft made of acrylic sheet, which is connected externally via a 4" PVC tube ramp (more info, details & pics here)

This is the whole setup. It doesn't look like much, but it's pretty big in person. The bottom ramp entrance is behind the wheel, which is why you can't see it.

This is the loft from overhead:

Here is a picture of the back side of the cage, where you can see the ramp:

All the liners/accessories (igloo cover, hedgie hat, & a few things not shown) are made by Nancy. They're fantastic, and Gordon loves them. His blankie stays inside his igloo and he snuggles up inside it every day.

The wheel is the CWS, which has worked out great so far. It's silent & easy to clean! The base took up a lot of room so I mounted it to the side of the cage. Still working on a litter pan to go underneath.

I have a digital thermometer that I use to check temps, but since I got an AC I just keep it mid-low seventies and everyone's happy.

If anyone has any questions/concerns, feel free to PM me.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #86 (permalink)

We got a new hedgehog yesterday, and in preparation for her we build a new huge cage. (I will post pictures of the little girl in the fun stuff in a little bit) We decided to go the C&C way, since the old one we did was a two-bins-connected and we still found it a bit small.

We cut out liners out of fleece, you can see underneath where we stored a bunch of extra ones. Underneath the liners are some shelf liners, to make it more comfy and to make it even more easy to clean. We also bought a new wheel, the flying saucer.

I like the colour blue. A lot.

In the pictures, she's huddled underneath her blankies in the lower left corner. The little second floor is basically a play pit, tons of little strips of fleece (and a couple of socks) for her to burrow into. We're thinking of adding another grid on the top of that level.

This was made with one sheet of coroplast and one box of cubes (13 grids), although I had bought 2 just in case. It's huge! I hope she'll enjoy it . I'll repost this in the discussion thread if anyone's got any comments.
Syker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #87 (permalink)

(dimensions are 40 1/2" long x 18 1/2 wide x 20 1/2 tall)

I am redoing her cage, will ad pics when my order comes in
CuteHedgieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #88 (permalink)

This is my modified Ferret Nation 142 cage. It has been made safe with enclosed ramps and enclosed loft areas. The wheels are Cake Walk Supremes from Reaper and the litter pans are baking trays.

[attachment=1:1u6niclc]lunapic-125158531796108-1.jpg[/attachment:1u6niclc]

[attachment=0:1u6niclc]lunapic-125158531796108-2.jpg[/attachment:1u6niclc]

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lunapic-125158531796108-1.jpg (276.4 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg lunapic-125158531796108-2.jpg (298.9 KB, 384 views)
Old 09-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #89 (permalink)

Thanks LarryT

This is what we look like today.

[attachment=1:3cyuiu5d]lunapic-12530528414083-3.jpg[/attachment:3cyuiu5d]

[attachment=0:3cyuiu5d]lunapic-12530528414083-2.jpg[/attachment:3cyuiu5d]

I much prefer the skulls and crossbones though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lunapic-12530528414083-3.jpg (278.9 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg lunapic-12530528414083-2.jpg (262.0 KB, 301 views)
Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syker
We got a new hedgehog yesterday, and in preparation for her we build a new huge cage. (I will post pictures of the little girl in the fun stuff in a little bit) We decided to go the C&C way, since the old one we did was a two-bins-connected and we still found it a bit small.

We cut out liners out of fleece, you can see underneath where we stored a bunch of extra ones. Underneath the liners are some shelf liners, to make it more comfy and to make it even more easy to clean. We also bought a new wheel, the flying saucer.

I like the colour blue. A lot.

In the pictures, she's huddled underneath her blankies in the lower left corner. The little second floor is basically a play pit, tons of little strips of fleece (and a couple of socks) for her to burrow into. We're thinking of adding another grid on the top of that level.

This was made with one sheet of coroplast and one box of cubes (13 grids), although I had bought 2 just in case. It's huge! I hope she'll enjoy it . I'll repost this in the discussion thread if anyone's got any comments.

Ahhhwwwwwwwwwww!! I already miss her!!!!! xx
Akells23 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in