Cage Setup Examples - Page 84 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #831 (permalink)

Default Re: Cage Setup Examples

I've taken the wheel falling into consideration and came up with a solution: zip-tie the wheel's stand to her cage. Now its impossible for it to fall over.
Also I'm pleased to say that my hedgie figured out the wheel all by herself last night, I even managed to get a video of her running on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64tCGQRt ... e=youtu.be

EDIT: Also in regards to her peeing and pooping in the wheel, it appears so far she doesn't do that. She was going on the wheel all night and this morning its still in pristine condition.
Blarg_King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #832 (permalink)
Administrator

The falling issues isn't just the whole wheel and stand tipping, its the center bolt coming loose and the wheel falling off the stand that is the problem.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #833 (permalink)

Oh yeah that too. I check the bolt every morning.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #834 (permalink)

Harper's set-up isn't nearly as elaborate as some of them but I thought I'd share! I'm looking to expand on some things for her- more tunnels, enrichment etc. She likes to rearrange her space every night so I switch around where things are all the time and she seems to enjoy the challenge. She has a couple sleeping bags and small fleece blankets- all princess themed!
PrincessK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #835 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessK
Harper's set-up isn't nearly as elaborate as some of them but I thought I'd share! I'm looking to expand on some things for her- more tunnels, enrichment etc. She likes to rearrange her space every night so I switch around where things are all the time and she seems to enjoy the challenge. She has a couple sleeping bags and small fleece blankets- all princess themed!
Hey! I'm not sure if I'm allowed to comment on this forum (sorry!) but I have a question for you! Does your hedgie use her litter box? Currently I just have a little pan underneath my hedgehog's wheel but he seems to ignore that and POOP EVERYWHERE. anything that can help minimize the mess in his cage will help, thanks!
PricklySteph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #836 (permalink)

Okay so the last part of my hedgehog's heating setup arrived in the mail today, so I thought I would post new pictures of her setup with the heating system set up.

So in the bottom left corner you can see the small digital thermometer I have to measure the temperature in her cage. slightly left of the centre is the clamp light I've clamped to her cage for her 14 hours of light per day. Right now its a 40 watt incandescent bulb, but I'm putting in an 8 watt LED to save some energy. Its hooked up to a digital timer.
Slightly right of the centre is a 150 watt capable light/heat fixture. Inside is her "silent spinner" wheel (already been over that in the previous comments) her food and water dishes, her squeaky ball, and her fleece sleeping bag.

[attachment=2:1ktcej35]IMG_0035.JPG[/attachment:1ktcej35]

Heres an interior view of the 100 watt CHE. It does an excellent job so far of keeping her cage between 23 and 24 degrees Celsius.

[attachment=1:1ktcej35]IMG_0036.JPG[/attachment:1ktcej35]

This is the weird japanese thermostat I bought off ebay. Not a bad buy, it was only 30$ and it seems to work well. I checked it against my thermometer and its accurate to within a .5 degree of it. The only problem was it has australian plugs on it not north american so I had to to some minor modification to get it to work. Luckily the voltages are the same. (yes its says 22 degrees on the display, i took this right after I set it up, its at 23.5 now)

[attachment=0:1ktcej35]IMG_0037.JPG[/attachment:1ktcej35]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.JPG (360.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0036.JPG (284.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0037.JPG (192.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #837 (permalink)

I have one, we made this cage out of an ikea shelf, we just added doors and a coroplast tray. When we first made it we used sticky back linoleum tiles to seal the floor and walls but after a few days the tiles on the walls started coming off and I realized we needed a wall for the front because Koloth was trying to walk out whenever I opened the cage doors so we created the coroplast tray. It's a little small but works for us, Koloth spends a lot of time out of his cage running around anyway.

This is picture with just the tile and the doors open.

IMG_1484 by HeatherAsh44, on Flickr

A picture now that we have a wheel and the coroplast tray. (Koloth doesn't mind Tiberius and I watching while he demonstrates the wheel)

IMG_1590 by HeatherAsh44, on Flickr

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #838 (permalink)

You keep him in that? I'm sorry but that's kinda sad how small it is

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #839 (permalink)

I realize it's smaller than most cages but it's still more than 2 sq feet and fits his wheel a place to snuggle and his food. For running around off the wheel he has the rest of the apartment. It's not like he's stuck in the cage 24/7.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #840 (permalink)

But I assume that's not during the late night? I find it way too small to be honest, you can't even fit in other stuff (like dig boxes or other toys) and he has barely space to run around when he's in his cage.
Here they usually say they need at least a 100 cm x 50 cm cage at the smallest. And I thought in the US they say at least 2 sq feet without all the stuff in it, so the floor space you have after you've put in the wheel and other things... well it's your cage of course, but I find it too small even if he's out a lot. But I found my old 100 cm x 50 cm cage too small already and I can really see mine is happier with more space although I have him out a lot (he runs around a lot at night). Might depend on the hog as well of course, as long as he's happy!

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in