Cage Setup Examples - Page 5 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 01:05 AM   #41 (permalink)

Default Re: Cage Setup Examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_sonic
ok, ill get right on that. im thinking about getting a small self watering bowl since he is prefering his bowl over the bottle anyway. its almost something you would use for dogs, but its made for reptiles im guessing since that is the section i found it in petsmart looking around. does anyone know anything that i should be cautious about with them? i havnt seen anyone with one of those in their cage and didnt know if thats because they are not good for them or just because its cheaper to just buy the regular bowl, any info. about this would be appreciated.
Umm...Why not just change the water in the bowl daily? Fresh water is very important. I wouldn't drink water that's been sitting around uncovered for days...I wouldn't make my animals drink it either. Even my horse's water buckets gets dumped and refilled daily.

Food and water should be changed daily. Can you imagine the bacteria growing on the leftovers that you don't throw out? Especially since hedgies need a warmer climate. The bacteria can be from their own spit(from crunching their food and pieces getting left behind, and lapping at the water) and as many know, hedgies love placing their poopboot paws on the edge of the bowls while eating...

Hey, maybe I'm paranoid, but I feel much better knowing that all my animals have fresh food and water.
autumnmystie and Wade like this.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 02:21 AM   #42 (permalink)

i do change the water daily, twice actually. all of his bowls are also cleaned daily. i just dont want to end up staying at work late one day unexpectedly and him run out of water while im not there. i fill the bowls up in the morning and at night and at these times of the day his water bowl is not far from empty. i have been to 4 different stores looking for bigger rubber bowls for him but havnt found any yet. i refuse to use the ceramic bowls because i will not leave the chance of it cracking and sonic getting lead poisoning. i also wont use a bowl or cup that i would drink out of because they would leave him a risk of drowning if he climbs in and cant get out. i was thinking about getting the automatic dispenser more so for his safety and health. thats about the only reasons i was thinking of it and wanted to hear some feedback from other hedgie lovers that have some experience on this type of problem
Old 05-26-2009, 02:36 AM   #43 (permalink)

I've seen a pic of someone's Hedgies cage (sorry don't remember who or where) but they were using one of the dispensers like your talking about.
I haven't tried one I was thinking about getting some for my bunch.
So anyway I think it would be fine as long as their still getting fresh water daily.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #44 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

If you have an adequate sized bowl and change the water daily, the hedgehog is not going to run out of water unless he tips the bowl or there is a health problem that makes him drink excessively.

While those waterers are nice in that they hold alot of water, really there is no point when the water needs to be changed daily and it is much easier to wash out a bowl daily than to take the waterer apart to properly wash. Those waterers also tend to make people lazy as they look at the amount of water left in it and decide they will forgo changing it for the day.

Ceramic bowls are fine to use and if you buy a decent quality one it won't have lead in it anyways so no risk.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #45 (permalink)

Default Re: Watson's new Condo

Watson's condo has 3 levels made of plexiglass trays with high sides and connected by plexiglass ramps(also with high sides and fences) so that he can neither fall nor climb up the wire sides of the walls and door. We researcdhed it quite a bit before my husband built it. Watson loves it and goes scampering up and down all night. The ramps are lined with silicone sink liner material which is washable and gives him good traction - easy on his ity bitty footies. The wheel is set onto ball bearings so it is whisper silent - only evidence of his using it is the poopy residue by morning (plus I have snuck up on him with a flashlight at night and caught him in the act!)

He is a lovely, neat creature, only pooping on the highest level where the wheel is - quite considerate. All the trays are removeable for easy washing. My husband is a hedgie - cage building genious![attachment=0:gu2mfox5]IMG_6965.JPG[/attachment:gu2mfox5]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6965.JPG (35.1 KB, 549 views)
vkanev1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #46 (permalink)

That looks very nice! I like it.
Did you make or buy that fabric tube thingy in the corner? I think my kids (hedgies) would love that.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:20 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_sonic
i just dont want to end up staying at work late one day unexpectedly and him run out of water while im not there. i fill the bowls up in the morning and at night and at these times of the day his water bowl is not far from empty. i have been to 4 different stores looking for bigger rubber bowls for him but havnt found any yet.
Not sure if it will help size wise but Sylive's food dish is actually a cat dish. It's the oval dish with two 'bowls' attached, they style you would get in a cat set up kit with litter box, scoop, & dish. With the shape of it she doesn't try to flip it & when I get up in the morning her water dish is only about 1/2 empty.

This isn't the exact one but gives you an idea: http://www.normericainc.com/pet-accesso ... detail.php
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 01:33 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercat
Not sure if it will help size wise but Sylive's food dish is actually a cat dish. It's the oval dish with two 'bowls' attached, they style you would get in a cat set up kit with litter box, scoop, & dish. With the shape of it she doesn't try to flip it & when I get up in the morning her water dish is only about 1/2 empty.

This isn't the exact one but gives you an idea: http://www.normericainc.com/pet-accesso ... detail.php
I had some similar to that for mine and they stick their nose in the "handle" area and flip them over or carry them around on their backs

Every Hedgie is different though!
Old 05-30-2009, 01:46 AM   #49 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to drpepperheather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbys Mom
That looks very nice! I like it.
Did you make or buy that fabric tube thingy in the corner? I think my kids (hedgies) would love that.
The tube is a SuperPet Crinkle Tunnel, and I picked ours up in the Ferret section at PetsMart (they also have them at Petco). =)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753334

drpepperheather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #50 (permalink)

OMG!!!! love the cage Heather, at first i saw all of the hedgie stuff, and thot the thing in the middle was one of ur turtles but then i realized it wasnt
hedgieluver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in