Canadian Hedgie Owners - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Arrow Canadian Hedgie Owners

So i'm continuing my preperation for my little girl to come home in a couple weeks. I finally got the big rabbit cage for her from someone today, its bigger than I thought which is awesome.
So I naturally ran to fabric land to buy fleece for liners. I don't sew so I'm just cutting and then laying this down on the bottom of the cage.
I was my lucky day because currently Fabric Land in Ontario Canada is doing 'Dollar Days' and all the fleece was on sale down from $20 a meter to just $6.50!! Naturally I cleaned up. I got tons of fleece for liners, and a couple for blankies for her during cuddle time. So if you are in Canada near a Fabric Land I suggest you go

Also, can any Canadian's help me out in finding a CHE thermometer? I dont want the Repti-500 one because I dont like that you can't set it to an actual degree...and I havent seen the Zilla one ANYWHERE which is what I want.. Amazon doesnt ship to Canada and Amazon.ca doesnt have it. I did buy two 150 watt ceramic bulbs by exo-terra... are these any good? They are black..is that a problem? They were on sale at Petsmart for $37 down from almost $50.. =/ I still need to find the 10' clamp lamp. I spent 12 hours today out driving to different petstores, Walmarts, and Fabric Lands. I kid you not..12 hours. With stops for coffee and food of course. haha. This hedgie is gonna be spoiled!

Any shopping tips from fellow Canadians would be SUPER helpful. Also anything you can tell me about the black exo-terra ceramic bulbs.

Thanks!

pink-ster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Canadian Hedgie Owners

I have the same CHE, it works great. My hedge hog is in one of the bigger rooms in our house and it keeps him nice and snuggly warm. I've never had a second thought about it being black - I'm pretty sure it is exactly the same. It only emits heat - no light, so I think that is the important thing. On the other hand, I also have not seen the Zilla Thermostat and have been looking for it. I'm thinking I might just order it online one of these days - for now I make do with the Repitemp and as long as the room your hedgie is in stays at somewhat of a consistent temperature, it does a decent job. Also, I found the 10" clamp lamp at Petland for about $30.

Thanks for the Fabric Land tip, I'll have to stop by tomorrow! Hopefully the same sale is going on here in MB.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't have CHE but I have a digital thermometer that's on the cage. If you can't find the CHE you want you can get the other one without the temp and buy a thermometer. It's not as convenient but it would work. I got my thermometer from petsmart and it was pretty inexpensive.
Thanks for the headsup on the sale on fabricland I hope it runs until this weekend so I can go take advantage of it!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Here is a Canadian online site that you can order the Zilla temperature controller from. http://www.petsandponds.com/en/reptile- ... index.html Keep in mind that just because it has degrees on it, it isn't always accurate.

Petsmart should have the 10" clamp lamp. That is where I've bought all of mine but they seemed to frequently be out of stock of the 10" size. Make certain the make you buy says it is safe for CHE's. Not all of them are.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks! I'll look at that site with the thermometer. I bought a cheap digital one for my room to show me what the temp is in there. Its at 73'F
right now. Soo..if that zilla thermometer isnt always accurate...should I buy another thermometer for inside the cage?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Yes, you will need an accurate thermometer inside the cage to ensure the thermostat/temperature controller is keeping the cage at the right temperature.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey dear! So Im in Ontario/Quebec Canada (depending on the day :P) and I shopped at petsandponds.com and I must say it was great, the package came like two days after and I kinda did my shopping last minute so it really worked out and i highly suggest them

I know this isnt the review page, but I thought I would tell you about this thermometer anyways http://www.petsandponds.com/en/reptile- ... 34113.html

It is made for aquariums so it looks a little weird but I have it set up in my C&C cage and it works great! What I like about it is, if the cage drops below a certain temperature, based on what you set it as (mines set at 71) then an alarm goes off, its like a beeping from a alarm clock. The power went out at my place (Urgh this snow!) at like 2am and the cage dropped below, the alarm went off, woke me up and i was able to prevent a horrible situation.

Its just... awesome lol its gone off three times since ive owned it and I'm glad i had some warning, instead of waking up to the power being out and checking the cage and seeing it too cold.

GoldenEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

hello!
i love fabric land! SO MUCH FLEECE
but i got a repitle one with red bulbs... the pet man said they wouldent bother the hedgies night vision (im not sure it matters cuse i turn his light of at 9pm anyway...) but i got a thermometer and just make sure the tempratuer stays normal, ( if it dosent i beeps and tells me something is up wich is cool)

cthom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEyes
Hey dear! So Im in Ontario/Quebec Canada (depending on the day :P) and I shopped at petsandponds.com and I must say it was great, the package came like two days after and I kinda did my shopping last minute so it really worked out and i highly suggest them

I know this isnt the review page, but I thought I would tell you about this thermometer anyways http://www.petsandponds.com/en/reptile- ... 34113.html

It is made for aquariums so it looks a little weird but I have it set up in my C&C cage and it works great! What I like about it is, if the cage drops below a certain temperature, based on what you set it as (mines set at 71) then an alarm goes off, its like a beeping from a alarm clock. The power went out at my place (Urgh this snow!) at like 2am and the cage dropped below, the alarm went off, woke me up and i was able to prevent a horrible situation.

Its just... awesome lol its gone off three times since ive owned it and I'm glad i had some warning, instead of waking up to the power being out and checking the cage and seeing it too cold.

ohhh thats amazing! The power went out three times? and it wakes you up? I'm totally gonna have to buy that...of course I already bought the thermometer so i'm gonna have to place another order haha. But its worth it if it has an alarm.
Thanks for letting me know!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in