Help with cooling cage - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help with cooling cage

Hey everyone, weather in here is around 85F (30C), I have a feeling it is a little too hot for my girl. She has enough ventilation and she is not near direct sunlight, I make sure she has plenty of water, but I am afraid that she will over-heat, I am even more worried because the weather forecast predicted it will be getting worse and worse, only tomorrow we will be around 88F.
I don't have AC in my house, the only thing similar to it that I have would cool her down way too much as I can't control it's temperature. My window is always open to give her enough air. I set a ventilator near the window to make the air circulation better, and I already ran out of ideas.

Agatha's birthday: 24-December-2011
vasogoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Help with cooling cage

I don't know if it is a good idea, but if you're in real trouble you maybe could fill some bottles with cold water to keep her cool? Of course it's not a good long term option.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Too hot is generally not quite as panic-inducing as too cold, so try to relax and just keep an eye on her for cues. She'll let you know if she's getting overheated, with panting, splatting out, or looking lethargic. Some other ideas you can try are getting a ceramic tile (like a floor tile) or a ceramic flower pot that's big enough and putting it in her cage, for a cooler option to sleep on. You might find her splatted out on those if she likes them. Another option, if she's showing signs of distress from being too warm and you want to try and cool it down quickly, is getting some freezer packs and setting them on top of her cage. Cool air sinks, so that may help cool the cage off a couple degrees if you find it necessary. Just place a towel under the packs so they don't drip into the cage and get it or her wet.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks a lot to both of you It is also great to hear it is not something to be terrified of, also thanks for your advices, I will take them into account for when the temperature reaches it's peak in a couple of months. Again thanks a lot

Agatha's birthday: 24-December-2011
vasogoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
gas

This post will be one of the noted post for me. Like in Mexico, here in the Philippine the climate is warm, so.. most of the time temperature rises (rather than fall). I like the freezer pack idea, i should keep that in our freezer just in case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in