Water Bottle vs. Water Dish - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Water Bottle vs. Water Dish

I am picking up my new hedgie soon and I am still getting supplies & his cage together. The breeder uses a water bottle that is available for purchase from them but I was thinking of getting him a water dish. Should I get both and let him use whatever he feels most comfortable with? (Assuming that the breeder has let him use the water bottle since he was born)

Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Water Bottle vs. Water Dish

Yup...get both until he decides. You don't want him getting dehydrated cuz he doesn't know what a water dish is for.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

i highly recommend using a water dish...since he has had a water bottle, work to wean him onto a dish.

my issue with water bottles, aside from the mechanism sometimes not working, is that the bottle itself needs to be cleaned thoroughly OFTEN. if not, it gets moldy & musty. & while you put fresh water in the bottle...the bottle is dirty & STINKS though looks fine. so your hedgie gets icky water. i think it is much easier for the hedgie to get the water & for owners to keep a bowl truly clean.

that said, i know some hedgies are pigheaded & refuse to use anything but a bottle. if this describes your new little one, please please please clean it THOROUGHLY at least 3x a week & if you can manage daily, that would be best.

welcome & congrats on your hedgie! we are all excited for you. we will need pictures - if you have not noticed that already!
rivoli256 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

I will be sure to post pictures as soon as I get him! (Im not sure when it'll be due to my travel dilemma)

How can I wean him onto the water dish though without not placing a bottle in his cage? I dont want him to be confused and not know where to get water from because he got used to the bottle..
Old 07-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

i am sure some people will give you good advice...better than i can.

i know most people put the bottle in & put a bowl of water directly under the spout so the hedgie realizes that there is water under the bottle. many will eventually transition themselves.

DexterTheHog recently did this & then unscrewed the spout/top & put it IN the bowl as a final step & had very good success. hopefully she will come along & provide her insight, since i am just giving you tips others have shared here.

i have done it the not so gradual way...put in a large dish & see if they figure it out. not the smartest way but i did not have a bottle at the time & it was night - could not get one. hedgie went to water dish. i had a thristy hedgie who was not going to be stubborn. for once! (i have all the weird special needs hedgies! so i caught a break. YAY!) he consistently went to the bowl & was peeing well (double checked the liners ) & had no signs of dehydration, so i stuck with the bowl.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I never had much luck with water dishes, my 1st hedgehog Hedgie loved his water bottle and would not give it up, and his last owners said when he had the water dish he keep sitting in the water and poop in it! He needed the water bottle. When I got my 2nd hedgehog Norah, I put the water dish in and the water bottle, she used them both but she tended to use the bottle more so i let her use the bottle. If you keep the water bottles clean at least weekly then they will be fine. Clean the water bottle when ever you clean the cage or when ever you get the chanse.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Alright, so ill get both and I think i'll try to wean him off it by placing the dish underneath and slowly showing him the dish is more natural.

PS. I added the picture the breeder sent me of my little man to my signature.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

It shouldn't be too hard to convince your baby to use the bowl. From what I've seen, if given a choice, most hedgies will choose a bowl over a bottle. I did the whole put-the-bowl-under-the-bottle thing, and it took my hedgehog 3 or 4 days (maybe? I can't remember, but it wasn't very long) to understand what the water bowl was, and to choose it over the bottle.

Good luck! And your baby is SO cute!

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanhan27
It shouldn't be too hard to convince your baby to use the bowl. From what I've seen, if given a choice, most hedgies will choose a bowl over a bottle. I did the whole put-the-bowl-under-the-bottle thing, and it took my hedgehog 3 or 4 days (maybe? I can't remember, but it wasn't very long) to understand what the water bowl was, and to choose it over the bottle.

Good luck! And your baby is SO cute!
I hope its that easy! And thank you! Im so excited to get him!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Walter is adorable. thanks for sharing the pic. cannot wait to see more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in