Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Housing & Accessories (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Gravel bath (for enrichment)? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10891)

CinderSmoke 07-07-2011 06:16 PM

Gravel bath (for enrichment)?

Has anyone ever tried to offer their hedgie(s) a gravel bath? I read that they like to roll around in gravel, much like a chinchilla likes a dust bath.
I'm going to give this a try and prehaps it will give Jeremiah something new to do......

CanadienHedgie 07-07-2011 06:46 PM

Re: Gravel bath (for enrichment)?

I've never read or heard that they will roll in gravel, but I don't think it would be comfortable. I be worried about pieces getting in the eyes and private parts.

Hedgieonboard 07-07-2011 07:33 PM

It might work if the pieces were big enough to not be swallowed and not sharp. A lot of different gravels have sharp edges that I could see causing an eye or foot injury. You'd want to make sure it wasn't dusty also. I've thought of it before but haven't found something I wanted to use yet.

shaelikestaquitos 07-07-2011 07:47 PM

I know hedgehogs like dust baths, but it is not good for them.

I've never heard of people giving gravel baths, though.

msviolet 07-07-2011 08:34 PM

Violet will do that sometimes in her litter box!!!! Yuck!!! So I will remove the litter box just before I wake her up that way she will not head off and have her yucky bath! LOL
Violsets mommy Jane

CanadienHedgie 07-07-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msviolet
Violet will do that sometimes in her litter box!!!! Yuck!!! So I will remove the litter box just before I wake her up that way she will not head off and have her yucky bath! LOL
Violsets mommy Jane

What type of litter are you using?

CinderSmoke 07-07-2011 09:13 PM

It's pea gravel, washed and dust free. It is recommended in the "Complete pet owner's manual". If he doesn't wake up before i go to bed, I'll wait to put it in his cage until early morning so i can supervise him.

CinderSmoke 07-25-2011 11:56 PM

Well, the gravel bath was not a big hit. Jeremiah scared himself with the noise he made while running through the gravel. He'd sniff it, run through REALLY fast (as though instead of gravel it was hot coals), look back ("what's after me????") and go into his cork bark hide. Maybe i will try it in his outside playpen once it cools off a little.

PatrickStump 09-28-2017 05:18 PM

My hedgehog does it in his litter box, too. ?

nikki 09-28-2017 06:49 PM

Please check the date on a thread before posting. This one is from 2011.