Hedgehog Central banner

How does WHS start?

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Prickerz 
#1 ·
I'm very concerned about Penelope! She is just over 1 year old and very curious and active. I live in Illinois and now that the sun is setting earlier she usually wakes up around 6:00pm to run and eat some bugs. When I got home from work around 8:30pm tonight, I noticed that she hadn't been awake yet. I got her out to check on her, and she was in a ball, but didn't even flinch when I picked her up. She usually at least huffs a bit from being woken up. I set her down on the rug, which she loves and usually comes out instantly to run around the room, but she didn't move at all. I thought she might be cold, so I ran her a warm bath, but when I put her in the water, she struggled to swim. It was like she didn't have control of her legs. Her eyes also looked very tired and she was having trouble keeping them open. I let the water out a bit so she could be in the warmth, but not have to swim. She sat there for a bit, seemingly relaxed, but still very tired. I got her out and snuggled her for a while to keep her warm. When I put her back in her cage, she had a hard time walking. It looked like her legs were shaking too much and she seemed to have trouble swallowing as well. She crawled up in her fleece and slept and I left her alone for a bit. When I came back to check on her about an hour later, she was on her wheel. I let her out of her cage to run around the room and she's running just fine! She's doing laps around the room, climbing through my clothes, and eating normally! Does WHS start out slow like that with just little episodes? I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen issues like this?

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes then it was most likely a hibernation attempt! (Bad but not as bad as WHS). Just make sure she is kept warm because once a hedgie had a hibernation attempt, they are more prone to them. Monitor her food intake, make sure she is eating. Some hedgies eat very little after an attempt but she should start eating normally again soon. Just keep a close eye! And if you would feel more comfortable bringing her to the vet, I would say that's a good idea! :)

Hope your hedgie feels better soon!

#6 ·
By heating rock, do you mean the ones sold for reptiles? That's not safe at all to have in her cage. They cause burns for any animal that stays in contact with them, and I wouldn't want it anywhere she could have access to it, even if it does actually warm the cage up enough. You need to look into getting a CHE set up or a space heater that will keep her entire cage at a safe temperature without risking burning her.

Another thing - She needs to have 12-14 hours of light during the day, especially now since the days are so short. Hedgehogs will often take shorter days as a sign that it's time to hibernate, so it's important to keep their light schedule regular. You should set a lamp up near her cage or leave the room light on when it starts getting dark. Most people set a lamp up on a timer so they don't have to worry about remembering to turn it on/off.

Glad she seems to be fine now, but please get things fixed so you don't risk another attempt. :) If she does have another one, warm her up under your shirt with your body heat or put her on a heating pad set on low (and covered with a towel) and stay with her.

#7 ·
I agree completely with Lilysmommy.
I got a lamp timer for 3 bucks from home depot, got home, told my boyfriend to figure it out, and now the lamp in that room goes on at 9am and shuts off at 9pm.
I keep it on all day so if clouds roll in while i'm at work and it stays dark all day, the light schedule doesn't change.

You really need a better heat set up!! What is your thermostat in the house usually set at?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.