WHS? Hibernation attempt? Please help - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2020, 02:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation WHS? Hibernation attempt? Please help

Hi there,

My first and only hedgehog is 1 year and 7 months. He's always had dry skin, has a little redness around the ears. I attributed this to him being albino and I've never had any previous health concerns with him.
Within the past week or so I noticed he has begun to wobble ever so slightly. He also keeps walking in circles and when I put him on his wheel, he kept going in circles on the wheel itself rather than running forward as he normally would. He is also much more sedate than usual. When I hold him he almost always goes straight for the armpit to hide, but lately he just will sit in my hands.
I haven't heard him running on his wheel in the middle of the night like I typically do when I wake up. I attributed this to me buying a new wheel that makes less noise.

I am really worried and don't know what to think. I know that WHS is a slow onset disease but I'm wondering if I have just missed the signs earlier on? I'm not sure. Please help, any input would be fantastic.
mightythor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 05:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would personally take him to the vet for an inspection. They can see if it’s WHS, or something else that might’ve happened.
mightythor likes this.
Brooke2Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2020, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am not the kind of person to rush to the vet, but I would say that if his symptoms continue and he isn't eating or drinking normally, you should consider taking him to a vet.
mightythor likes this.
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke2Lancelot View Post
I would personally take him to the vet for an inspection. They can see if it’s WHS, or something else that might’ve happened.
I am taking him into the vet today, hopefully it won't be WHS. Thank you for your input
Old 01-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky_Floof<3 View Post
I am not the kind of person to rush to the vet, but I would say that if his symptoms continue and he isn't eating or drinking normally, you should consider taking him to a vet.
He is still eating and drinking but I am still bringing him to the vet today because the not being able to run on the wheel really worries me. Thank you for your input.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Please keep us updated. This could be something as simple as an ear infection causing him to feel off.
mightythor likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2020, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Let us know what happens! I hope your little guy is okay!!
mightythor likes this.
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

I took him to the vet and the vet basically said that it's either WHS or an ear infection, which he says stems from an upper respiratory infection. To me, I think it's the upper respiratory infection because of the quickness of his condition and his little feet are crusty and I found a small eye crusty under his eye today. The vet gave me a prescription for the ear infection and he's been on it for a week with little improvement.
I don't know if I should wait one more week when the ear infection medicine is done to contact the vet or if I should just do it now.
I really appreciate everyone's support more than you guys could know. I was so worried and in tears over my poor hog and it was really nice to have people who actually care and also have/had hedgehogs.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

What did they prescribe for the ear infection?

If he hasn't had crustiness in his eye before, I'd contact the vet now to give an update. Let him know that his condition hasn't improved, that you are now seeing some discharge from his eye(s).

How has his appetite, mood/behavior, and activity levels been? If they have reduced at all, let the vet know that. Listen to him, if he's breathing or snuffling sounds at all different, let the vet know that too.

And please stop in to keep us updated.
mightythor likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 01:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

He was prescribed enrofloxacin. I did take him to the vet today and she did an ear swab. She said that he does have a significant amount of bacteria in his ears which I personally thought was good news, maybe he is just slowly responding to the medicine? He does have a week left.
Otherwise it is likely a brain tumor or WHS. She said that it was weird that he has general wobbliness rather than one weak side. I'm not sure what the significance of that is.
He did lose a little weight too, but they didn't seem concerned about that. He's been eating and drinking, just no wheel time since he's so off balance. I don't know. All I can do now is wait to see if the ear infection meds work.
Thank you again for being so kind and for helping me try and figure this out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in