WHS? Hibernation attempt? Please help - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Enrofloxcin is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. I'm assuming they gave you the oral version and not an ear drop.

You may still want to call to give an update. If there is bacteria in the ears themselves, maybe ask if there is also an ear drop antibiotic you could also give that would 'spot' treat while the systemic (oral) worked? Or if a steriod drop would help (had that prescribed a couple of times to help reduce inflammation in the ear canal).

I'm always happy to help where I can. I have seen a lot, dealt with a lot, and try to share what I've learned from my quilled kids who have passed on in hopes that their lives will help another.
mightythor likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

This morning I found him laying in his litter box on his back with his legs straight out. I brought him to the emergency exotic vet and they took his vitals etc. He was stable, but he couldn't walk more than two steps without falling over and he couldn't get himself back up. Last night I don't think he ate anything, I'm pretty sure he must've fallen and just laid there all night.
I decided to put him down because I didn't want him to suffer especially since he couldn't even really walk and couldn't eat by himself anymore. This vet was the third I saw and she said it was definitely neurological. I didn't do the autopsy but it was likely either WHS or a brain tumor.
Thank you all so much for your support and for helping me figure out what was wrong with him.
mightythor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Oh man, I am so sorry. You are an amazing hedgehog owner to dos something like that to help your little guy. You did the right thing.
mightythor likes this.
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear this. I had hoped it was just the infection they were seeing and not something that was going to get worse.
mightythor likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in