Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   WHS (Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome) (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Weight loss, but the rest of Alvin's health is just fine (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192274)

Charné 10-21-2019 01:45 PM

Weight loss, but the rest of Alvin's health is just fine

What is considered extreme weight loss? Alvin weighed 384 grams on 13 October 2019 and 376 grams on 20 October 2019. Currently in SA there is a extreme heat wave and this might contribute that he is eating a bit less. I can see with our cat it is the same. It is almost how I feel during extreme summer temperatures - just lay down, sleep and don't want to eat but drink more fluids.

This morning (Monday 21 Oct 2019) when I checked on Alvin, he did ate but not as much as normally. And he did not drink water at all. I don't know if the problem is that the water is too cold because I use water from the fridge?
But it is so hot that the water warms as the evening goes.

Alvin does get a lot of exercise. He loves his wheel and we take him outside almost everyday. When he is outside he runs a lot and don't ever stand still. I am not sure if this can also contribute to his weight?

Everything else with Alvin is fine. This includes his living quarters, food, light, love and attention, etc. We have not move. His cage has not move. Except in this heat, we move it to the living room where it is cooler. We do put on a fan, but it does not blow directly on him, it swings. And Alvin is either in his Igloo or under his T-shirt. The huffing I can't tell if it is more than normal, because he huff all the time. Accept when he is really relaxed and
deep asleep on my lap.

I know what to look for because before Maya passed on, her teeth have fallen out, she wobbled, did not drink or eat, her poop was green and soft and then later on there were blood in her poop. She also bit us for no reason and this was not normal for her. The vet tried everything. I think it was a combination off Wobbling Hedgehog syndrome and cancer.

And now I am scared if I see any sign, which might just be one time for Alvin.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Ria 10-22-2019 04:30 AM

From what I know wobbly hedgehog stardomstarts with a back leg stop working slowly and then slowly goes over the whole body which will eventually affect activity and weight but, you would know if he isnt using the leg. Also there are loads of other things that come on faster that cause them to be wobbly and not use one or more.

Anyway the eating less could be anything from the hot weather to being ill.
However I wouldn't count a 8g drop in a week a big weight drop. Anything over 20g would be a big drop. But not 8g.
If its just the weight your concerned on keep an eye on it like you are but if nothing else wrong and out of the ordinary then he is likely fine. Take him to the vet if you want to be sure.

Unless he is slowly stopping using a back leg its not worth worrying about whs.

Charné 10-23-2019 05:48 AM

Thank you for your reply, it's much appreciated.

I know I am maybe being a bit too worried. It's only because what we went through with Maya that everything out of the ordinary scares me.

I decided to weigh his food every day to see how much he ate as well as to check how much water he drinks.

But he is doing fine. I think it's the heat.

Charné 10-23-2019 05:49 AM

And thank you also about the weight loss information.