Tumor or WHS? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tumor or WHS?

Hi all, this is my first time posting on a forum of any kind, so please bear with me.

I have had hedgehogs in the past: two boys, one of whom developed a brain tumor at 2 years and past in 2016, another who struggled with a respiratory infection and succumbed to pneumonia in 2018. My current hedgehog, Peter, is just over a year old (maybe a year and a half?) and has been perfectly healthy: a little grumpy here and there but always a good eater and an avid wheel-runner. He disliked his dry food, so I switched him to canned mixed with dry and recently just to wet because he seemed to be having issues with his jaw (we thought it was unrelated to the mobility issues below but now we're not sure).

Recently, he's stopped eating as much and seems to be struggling to walk on slick surfaces. He no longer runs on his wheel. He seems to favor his front legs but when on carpeted surfaces, he walks fine with no tremors or shakiness. He tends to flop forward occasionally onto his front right side regardless of the surface he is on. His right eye appears to be slightly swollen compared to his left. I got him to eat when I placed him and his food bowl on a fleece blanket and he had enough traction to stand and eat. I have a vet appointment for him in a week with a local exotic vet (but they also run an ER through the clinic as well). I'm leaning towards tumor but I just wanted to get some other opinions.

My current plan is to switch his crate paper to pee pads for extra traction and continue to offer him several types of wet food. I supplemented his food with one drop of vitamin E last night, as well.
spidrenam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Doesn't sound like what we would normally see for WHS symptoms. And with how common cancer and tumors are in these little ones, you are likely correct. However, you already know this, that you need to get a veterinary opinion and see if there is anything you can do to help his quality of life.

If his face/eye is swollen, I'd try to get him to see a vet sooner if you can. Could be very painful. I'd also likely try the canned food route just in case his eye/face is painful. Less crunching has to feel better right?

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in