My poor hog probably has WHS - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2019, 08:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My poor hog probably has WHS

My hedge-son, Peter, is 2 years old now. About 2 months ago he stopped using one of his front legs. We tried anti-inflammatories and an xray but the vets said it was clean- either a stroke or WHS. The paralysis stopped for the 2 months so I thought itd just be the one leg, but now hes pulling off his other front leg. I know it's uncommon for it to not be back to front, but that's whats happening with Peter. Has anyone seen anything like this, and can anyone think of ways to help him? He has a lot of trouble eating and drinking, even with bowls at ground level. He just kind of lays into them and needs help.
Dman1455@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm sorry to read this, reminds me of one of my girls. She started out with just a little weakness to one side, then that leg went stiff, then the other front, and eventually her back. We believe she had a stroke, and later had more as I witnessed her have a seizure a couple of times.

Can he stand at all on the legs? With mine, she initially could stand on them, but would fall due to balance issues. I rolled pieces of fleece to prop her up/give her something to lean against while she ate and drank. I put the bowls close to her bed, but tried to secure them in ways that should she fall, she could get out.

I used those to form passages through the cage to allow her to be able to navigate and have something to fall against yet still stay upright and to prevent her from getting stuck. In the beginning she used them a lot, as time went on she walked less and only went out of her bed to go to the bathroom. Examine her cage closely, look for anything she could get stuck under, for example her wheel. I left my girl's wheel in as it clearly stressed her if it was gone, even though she wasn't using it. I used those pieces of fleece around it so that she couldn't fall and get stuck under it.

If you aren't already, give him daily massages, move his legs. Help him walk if you can. As they lose the ability to move, their legs can become very rigid, this helps delay that.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the response! I definitely have tried to keep him active, I'll hold him up as he walks or give him new toys. He tends to try and then give up, and it seems pretty demoralizing. I'll move his legs or even spin his wheel with him in it so he feels like hes going. Right now, his left leg is dead. He always has it up, cant use it at all. The right one is getting weaker as the days go on, and hes pulling it up more. I've basically been feeding him the past few days because he has a hard time even walking to his food. I'll hold him up to food or water and he just goes to town. I got lucky with a great boy; he trusts me and I'm able to feed him and hold him as he eats. Just wish i could do more for him, you know? I'm getting him antibiotics for a tooth issue now, so hopefully he'll be in less pain.
Dman1455@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

I know exactly what you are saying, and I used to hold my girl up too. I'd help steady her, help hold her so she had some independence still while she "stood" to eat. I'd lay a blanket down on a solid surface and help her walk. She'd walk around it. I'd stand by her cage and help her walk on her wheel. Exercising the legs as much as we could. It became clear when she'd get tired and we'd go for a snuggle afterwards. As time progressed, I'd come home from work and she pretty much was with me all the time. She'd come out of her bed and expect to be picked up. She'd lay on me and I'd massage her legs and her tummy. It was clear it felt good.

Sad thing is as they become more dependent on us, the harder this gets. The bond between you and him will grow stronger, and it gets harder and harder to see them like that and harder to know when to say good bye.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in