When to let them go - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2019, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default When to let them go

Hi guys, coming to the experts as I am far from one. apologies for a long post. My little guy Quinn is 6 and a half and has gone downhill the last month or so. He has a tumor in his tummy, and likely one in his head. He was his normal self until about a month ago when i noticed blood in his poop, and an eye protruding more than usual. after a vet visit at this point is when the tumor(s) were confirmed, and was put on daily pain meds which he takes without much of a fuss. four days ago he lost a majority of the use of his hind legs, although sometimes he does get them under himself and isnt dragging behind completely. His poop has also changed and is no liquidy and green, and he doesn't seem to have control over his bathroom habits anymore. He still has an interest in food and water, although somewhat diminished and still wants to explore and play, however not as much and not with as much energy as he used to. my questions are, is it time to put him to sleep? am i being neglectful and selfish if i dont? how often do hedgies go on there own? is it fair for me to wait for that? (unless he takes a severe drop and is no longer interested in anything of course) I am heartbroken over this, as I am just uneducated on the end of a hedgie life. I own horses and am very used to helping them along when theyre ready, and tend to be quite logical about it but i am really struggling with this decision for him. sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance. give your little friends an extra little squeeze every chance you get
horserider1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm sorry you are having to go through this.

When to let go will be all up to you. I've often used a few guiding questions to help me decide. Is there anything they enjoy in life left? Are they in any pain or discomfort? Look into his eyes, ask him if its time to go. I often sit with them on my chest, looking in their eyes, and find that the spark in their eyes will tell you if its time.

I won't advise if you should wait or not, that is really dependent on the individual situation. Its tough to know when is the right time as cancer can quickly progress sometimes.

One lesson I learned ages ago, and its often hard to follow as we become very attached to these little ones and want just one more day is this... its often better to let go a day or two too early than to wait even a moment too long. Let them go when they still have a bit of life and dignity left in them. Its kinder to them, but it can be kinder to you in the long run. You'll be upset, you'll mourn, these are normal feelings. But try to not allow regret to also join in your mourning.
nikki likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in