WHS or just old? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2019, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default WHS or just old?

So Emery is almost 4 and half years old. I noticed tonight after cleaning her cage that she would fall on her right side and kinda flop around. After a moment shed get up and walk fine. After observing her more, I noticed one of me back legs was extended behind her. She hasnt lost any weight, is eating and drinking fine, and didnt show any of pain when I manipulated her hind legs. Is she just getting old or is she have neurological problems?
salsa_zoppo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! Emery, what a cute name 🙂 my first question, though, is what is her temperature set up and enclosure temp? I’m a hedgie gets too cold and tries to go into a pseudo hibernation, they can show signs that would be expected in WHS for a while. How long has this been happening? Could it be a break? Their little legs are so delicate, it could have been all sorts of things that caused a fracture. WHS does generally begin to show in the hind legs, but it’s generally a quick moving disease and they tire easily and lose appetite fairly quick as well.
I’d like for us all to assess further, but want to rule other symptoms out first!
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 02:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj.t View Post
Hey there! Emery, what a cute name 🙂 my first question, though, is what is her temperature set up and enclosure temp? Im a hedgie gets too cold and tries to go into a pseudo hibernation, they can show signs that would be expected in WHS for a while. How long has this been happening? Could it be a break? Their little legs are so delicate, it could have been all sorts of things that caused a fracture. WHS does generally begin to show in the hind legs, but its generally a quick moving disease and they tire easily and lose appetite fairly quick as well.
Id like for us all to assess further, but want to rule other symptoms out first!
Hope this helps 🙂
Her cage is set to 74 with a temp gauge lamp that turns on when the temp drops. I just noticed it start to happen tonight and shes been ok for the time Ive been watching her. Little slow but nothing too drastic. Nothing appears broken visually or felt broken either.
salsa_zoppo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

You need to take her into to see a veterinarian for diagnosis. There are many possible issues that could cause what you are seeing. I’ve seen older hedgehogs suffer from arthritis, slipped/ruptured disc in their spine, neurological disorders, etc. Your veterinarian will want to examine the hedgehog and possibly take an xray to rule out conditions. Keep in mind that hedgehogs hide pain and illness really well. Sooner the better when it comes to these things, some conditions are more apt to respond to treatment the earlier they are detected.
nikki and belties like this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2019, 01:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hello, I'm curious about Emery as you posted this just over a month ago and my 4 1/2 old hedgehog is exhibiting somewhat similar behavior except he isn't walking fine in between episodes. He really can't walk anymore, his legs all move, but either don't have strength or he hasn't got control of them. He kind if crawls/pulls himself around and can't hold himself upright, he falls over to his left side. I took him to a local vet who does specialize in exotic pets, but she hasn't seen a hedgehog is a long time, so was baffled. She went on-line and now thinks it is Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome, but he is 4 1/2 years old and it seems like these symptoms started within the last two weeks with the falling over/not really walking in the last 5 days. How is Emery?
SillySiili is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in