Progressive Neuropathy - Change Cage? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Progressive Neuropathy - Change Cage?

Marley has the big Midwest Cage & I'm thinking maybe I need to put him in something smaller & keep him by my bed. Reason is, when I check on him at night, some of the time I find him out in the open but he's on his side, stuck, legs extended, seemingly paralyzed. If I put him in a little plastic bin next to me I can hear him better & help him right himself if needed. Bear in mind, I'm ready to start considering euthanasia. I won't keep an animal alive & suffering out of selfishness. My motto is - I do what is best for HIM, not what is best for ME. His mobility has just gotten much worse in the past week. I guess I need to hear opinions and experiences. Have never had a hedgehog before so don't know if he's really suffering. I'm going to try to attach a pic of the bin I was thinking about using until I can figure out what he really needs. Thx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marley In Small Plastic Bin.jpg (45.6 KB, 7 views)
Robinzen1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2019, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! I’m so sorry to hear about your little guy; these kinds of things are never easy. I saw your previous post and figured I’d combine mine into one.
I’ve never heard of WHS being referred to as neuropathy, but I’ve heard progressive paresis/paralysis, so it could very well be the same thing. By your explanation of the symptoms, it does sound, at least to me, like early WHS. This in hedgehogs can be likened to MS in humans, so to make a long story short, yes it can be painful. Their back legs start to atrophy and lose strength, and it works it’s way up the body. They’ll eventually lose appetite and weight. It’s a devistating scenario, to say the least.
I don’t see why it would be a problem moving him for at least a little while. If he’s not in a state to be running around, wheeling, etc, you can keep him close to you to monitor him!
With all that being said, I’m not a vet, and nothing can be diagnosed over the internet. I hope this at the very least explained the disease a bit more plainly than you may have gotten from your vet.
I’m so sorry to hear about the little guy. Let’s hope for the best 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I added some information to your other thread that also included some tips for cage changes.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, doc said progressive neuropathy. Then said it was definitely something neurological. I’m guessing he’s not using more common hedgie terminology because hedgehogs are pretty new to Arizona. They’ve only been legal here since December 2015. The first vet I took Marley to was amazed that he wasn’t curled up in a ball. He said it was the first hedgehog he’d ever seen that he didn’t have to put in water to get uncurled. He could not believe how friendly Marley was. The vet tech was expressing amazement, too. Both docs we’ve been to are exotic vets. The one who diagnosed the neuropathy, is definitely more knowledgeable/experienced with these little pin cushions than the first, but they’re both probably still learning about these critters along with us hedgie parents.

Thank you for explaining the pain issue. I had thought he was in no pain, just losing use of his legs. This will really help making the best decisions for Marley's care.
Robinzen1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in