Hedgehog Central banner

Seizure/WHS?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Draenog 
#1 ·
I have just given my hedgehog Dexter a bath and placed him in his cage. He ran directly to his food as usual, but for some reason soon after his back muscles seemed to clench up and he was uncontrollably moving about his cage. He became like possessed and was running into things and even peed a little bit. I have a video of it but for some reason it wont let me upload it. Maybe if someone answers I can direct message the video. Hope someone can help me because this has never happened before. Is it possibly WHS or was he stressed perhaps?

#3 ·
Ohh okay, I guess I just assumed the worst I mean it looks so freaky watching him do that. Nothing new in the bath but my dog, a German Shepherd, came into my room where the hedgehog is kept. She comes in on an occasion but I guess it is possible my hedgehog dexter just got really scared and agitated. If he just got upset why do they run around like that? Wouldn’t it make sense to just ball up? I really appreciate your help!!

#4 ·
If they feel like there's an immediate threat they'll ball up, but if they're just generally agitated, I've noticed our Gracie will run like a maniac. We just let her run it off or if we're really concerned we get her a blanket to bury herself in since the feeling of being covered and hidden makes them feel safe and generally calm down. Though it does come to mind the one time that she had a mosquito bite on her chest and she would not stop running because of that. For that we applied some Vermont's Original Bag Balm to soothe the area and that helped her get through it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.