Is it safe to say it's WHS? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2018, 01:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is it safe to say it's WHS?

Hi!

I've never posted on these forums before, but I've been stuck in a rut with my hedgehog these past few days. On June 2nd, I found my hedgehog laying on his side in his crate, and he was shaking. It kind of looked like a seizure, but it went on for hours before I put him back in his crate so I could sleep. I checked in on him in the morning expecting to see him lifeless, but he was breathing. The only thing is that his two hind legs were both partially paralyzed. Prior to the incident, he never had any troubles walking and he never seemed to walk crookedly or anything like that. Since then, he hasn't touched his wheel or his food at all, so I guess another question I have is about his eating. He hasn't eaten the food in his dish at all, and I've been feeding him with an eyedropper. I've fed him wet cat food through it and stage one turkey baby food. How much should I be feeding him? He's always been a skinny lil' dude, but it's concerning now because of how little he eats. I'm really not sure exactly what to ask because this is my first hedgehog, and I've only had him for a month or two. His symptoms came so suddenly. Any sort of advice is appreciated. Thank you all so much. <3
olliehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2018, 07:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi I'm sorry to hear you are not off to the best start with your first hedgehog.

It's sounds more like he was having a seizure or a stroke from your description. WHS does not come on suddenly and is a gradual illness. You need to take him to a vet immediately, there are many things that can cause a seizure and it can be life threatening.

Do you know how old he is? Keep syringe feeding him but please take him to a vet or emergency animal hospital urgently.

Keep us posted ♡
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Take him to the vet. Hopefully you monitor his cage temps and the poor lil guy didn't have a heat stroke.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

That's definitely not WHS, he needs to see a vet asap. You need to get a syringe to feed him with and he needs to eat at least 20-24 mls of food daily. If he's not drinking you'll also need to syringe water to him. The most important thing is to get him to a vet in the next day or so.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in