Hedgehog Central banner

eye concern

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Mimni 
#1 ·
I noticed after i gave Leo a bath his eye seemed a little swollen. i had not used any soap or shampoo just warm water to clean his dirty underside. I then after dried him and made sure he was warm before i put him back in his cage. My heating is always at 75 so i know he didnt get a chill. But today when i took him out i noticed he had a stye on his left eye. he seems perfectly normal no change in how he usually is but its a bit concerning to me. I have to still find a vet closer to me to take him to. All the vets in my area are extremely far from me and its -15 outside and i would have to take a train just to see one. I wanted to know if anyone else has had similar problems and what they did. If its serious ill take him i just dont want to risk taking him in the cold weather. Im still waiting to find one of my moms friends who are willing to drive me to a vet. till then what should i do :(

#4 ·
i dont know much about stye's but my jim had a large eye its is nothing we had it checked out may times by the excotic vet doc he fiqured if came from bumping his head .his eye has stayed large and he is now blind in it ,but he is really fine,we do have to give him eye drops everyday though natural tears ones ,hope its just somthing minor for your hedgie also.all the best.

#5 ·
When i woke up today i checked on Leo right away to look at his eye. His eye is still a bit swollen but compared to yesterday it is much much better so im going to keep cleaning it with warm water and watch it for a few days. He seems as happy and active so its not bothering him luckily. im so sorry to hear about your hedgies eye! Thank god it doesnt bother him

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.