Hedgehog Central banner

New owner help

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Mimni 
#1 ·
I just got my hedgie Leo two days ago. He has been sneezing a lot and im a bit worried. I live in Canada and it can be really cold here but i keep the heater in my apartment at 72 degrees at all times. I have heard about the heating pad but im worried to put that under his cage because the cage is plastic and i dont want it to melt. What should i do??

#2 ·
My hedge is currently residing in a large plastic tote waiting on his new cage. I have a human heating pad under it, it is in like a fabric cover, it has been on non-stop for days with not signs what so ever of melting or evening being more plyable from warmth. You should be safe.

#3 ·
If he is sneezing, he needs to see a vet and the sooner the better. Hedgehog respiratory infections can quickly turn to pneumonia which doesn't have a good survival rate. Being New Years, I suggest trying to get him to the vet tomorrow. :)

#4 ·
I was reading and i found out that when hedgehogs are put into a new cage they tend to sneeze. He is still as active its just he sneezes a lot so i dont know if its because of that or because of him being cold but i dont see why he would be when i always have the heating on high. Im afraid to take him out because i dont have a car and that means travelling with him in a box by train in the canadian winter :( So heating pads for humans safe? when i went to the pet store there was one for reptiles would that be just as good?

#5 ·
72F is not "high", it's actually on the low end of the acceptable temperature ranges. Some hedgehogs can hibernate at 72, most usually prefer around 75F.

Heating pads can actually cause more problems if you do not have proper heating already. Hedgehogs need the AIR to be warm, not just their sleeping spot. Having a heating pad gives owners a false sense of security, but in fact, it is more harmful if you do not have a primary heat system as your hedgehog would be moving from a very warm environment, out into the cooler air of the rest of the cage.
I would suggest you to look into using a CHE or a space heater to further heat the cage. Check out this thread http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4579
Also, most of the reptile ones are ones that stick to the bottom/side of the tank(which CAN cause burns, since the hedgie would be directly on it). I haven't found canadian stores with Ultratherm heat pads for reptiles, so I'm assuming the ones you're talking about are the ones with adhesive backing.
Heat pads are great for supplemental heating for the elderly or the sick. Heat pads should only be used if you already have a proper heat setup bringing the entire cage temperature to 75F or greater, depending on your hedgie.

As for winter travelling, when on the train, just have him in the carrier with multiple hand wamers inside various socks.(the socks prevent your hedgie from coming into direct contact with the hand warmer). Be sure to have a thermometer for the carrier, so you know the internal temperature. When walking, if you are worried about the wind, you can always transfer him into your jacket and zip him up inside. I actually have a purse I use specifically for this purpose. He fits snug in the middle, I have the straps on, then my jacket goes on over top. Although if you stuff the carrier with enough fleece, wind shouldn't get in and the hand warmers should do the job.

Where did you read that hedgehogs tend to sneeze in a new cage? I've never caught my boy sneezing before and I had him living in my room for an entire year before he got his own room.

#6 ·
I didnt mention that I use a small ceramic heater with my heating pad. And I use the human heating pad because it has the fleece liner that it goes inside, preventing to actual heating pad from having direct contact with the plastic. I use it because the counter that Gunther's cage is on is marble and friggin cold no matter the room temp.

#7 ·
Thank you so much!! I really love Leo and i just want the best for him. your posts really have helped me. Sadly tomorrow is new years so all the shops are closed but on jan 2 i shall be getting all the things he needs for heating. As for now i raised the heating and gave him my warm shirt for his cage. Thank you so much again :) and i was just reading so many sites i found it on one of them sorry i dont remember their names :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.