Hedgehog Central banner

cage question(heating wattage) again

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Reaper 
#1 ·
okay so im gunna be geting my new little girl thrusday afternoon. and i pretty much have everything ready, i jus have to finish her wheel and set up her heat emmiter, i have a marchioro tommy 120 cage with clear plastic on the back and sides, and my emiter bulb is 150 watts, so my question is.. is the 150 watt okay or should i get the 100 watt insead? our house is around 68-69 but the room she is going to be in ussuly is about 66. what do you guys think?

heres a couple pics of her cage (wich isint quite finished yet)
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff12 ... _3/001.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff12 ... _3/002.jpg

Thanks for any help, i really appreciate it :)

#5 ·
okay so i think i am going to need two emitters for her cage. because only one side seems to be warm. yes i know i should've had it all ready by know but i thought it was going to work... :| so now my question is... sence i have a 150 watt bulb for one side should i get another 150 for the other side? or the 100 watt? i will be leaveing in a few hours to go get it so any help would be great, thanks :)

#6 ·
I would go with another 150w just for keeping it even. Using a smaller one probably wouldn't be a problem, since it's already going to be warmer there from the other one, but maybe not. If it's connected to a thermostat, there would be no problem with two 150's.

#8 ·
okay so its all setup, but one side of the cage goes from 76 to 78. and the other side is like 75 to 77.. any ideas as to why its such a differance? arg... its so Frustrating.... :|

#9 ·
Actually that is not so bad. In the wild even in Africa the temperature changes many degrees from day to night. I think a couple of degrees difference may allow the hedgie to find a comfortable spot perhaps after running a while. Keep the area they sleep in the warmest due to metabolism slowing when sleeping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.