Farming Mealworms - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Farming Mealworms

I'm going to try to grow my own and been to several sites, so of course now I'm confused. Some say 1 container, some say more. I have the worms in 1 right now w/ wheat bran. How many more containers should I get ? I am hoping an experienced worm grower will help. I read that them super worms bite, even after they get chewed up?! WOW Them things are creepy enough and now that I read that Popper ain't gettin' them things!!! I'm just looking for some good advice. As far as moisture can I keep a damp sponge in there or do the vegts and fruits also provide food for them guys? Thanks sooo much,evrybody on this site is so great 'specially for all the answers and silly questions I ask
Zelda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Default Re: Farming Mealworms

I have 3 containers. 1 for the mealies. When they turn into aliens, I move them to the 2nd container. They stay there for the rest of their lives, turn into beetles & have babies. Every few weeks, I remove all the beetles & aliens. then I dump the remaining stuff (teeny, tiney mealies & eggs that you can't see) into the 3rd container. I return the beetles & aliens back to the 2nd container, with fresh bran.

The only reason I have the 3rd container is that I want to remove all the itty bitty mealies & don't really want them to go in with the big mealies yet, because if I clean out the big mealie container, I may accidentally throw out some tiny mealies or eggs. So I let the tiny mealies grow up a bit & then when they're big enough that I can grab them with the tweezers, they get moved to the big mealie container.

But that's just me - honestly, you could just have the first 2 containers & be fine. I just like to clean out the "mealie dust" every once in a while. I put it in my plants. I'm so cheep.

As far as what to put in there for moisture - I wouldn't personally use a sponge. For one thing, it would have maybe too much moisture & you don't want anything to mold. Also, maybe they could drink from it, but they couldn't eat it, which kind of defeats the purpose (anything you put into the container will end up inside the mealie, which will end up inside the hedgie). And - it will get really gross. Blleehh.

You will do fine with fruits & veggies. Not too many or they will mold. Good ones I've used are potato slices (although they turn black), apple slices, chunks of carrot. Not too much at one time, you want them to be able to eat it up within a couple days. Or remove it for some fresh stuff. I use whatever scraps I have from getting dinner ready (have used lettuce, turnips, beans, peas, celery).

And as far as the bedding goes, you're pretty open with that as well. Bran is fine, I've also used stale crackers, wheat cereal hubby refused to eat, oats.

Hope that helps some!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

fab post pj! we have mealies in school (our topic is green fingers and we are looking at bugs) i was wondering about how to care for them as we dont have them long at home before they get eaten.

pammie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Thanks! I don't want to be known as the "Mealie Lady!"

Though I DID buy 5000 not too long ago...(no one tell MissC!)

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in