feeding tomatoes to hornworms?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default feeding tomatoes to hornworms??

I can't find much about feeding tomatoes to hedgehogs. I really don't think they would like them anyway, but I do feed Bell hkrnworms quite a bit. Can I feed them the fruit of the tomatoe; Instead of using potatoes (or romaine lettuce if they feel like eating it).

It would also be way more nutritional then potatoes lol!!
tony21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Tomatoes are a no for hedgehogs since they're too acidic. I'm not sure I would make them the main or sole food for hornworms for the same reason - what goes into the hornworm ends up in the hedgehog as well, more or less. Can you vary the veggies that they get more than just tomatoes, potatoes, & lettuce or can they not have much variety? I don't know much about hornworms!
kuroneko and DesireeM81 like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

I feed hornworms and I gut load with tomatoes and other veggies plus some fruits. However, tomatoes do make up a good part of their diet mainly because they love them! Hornworms process food incredibly fast, they literally eat all the time and grow and eat and poop and eat and poop and grow some more. It's ridiculous. Because they process food so fast, I remove all food from their container for an hour beforehand so they can poop out all of the tomatoes. I have never had an issue with them.

(Just to clarify, Winter did not have hornworms for the week I was gone so I don't think that caused his bacterial infection)
Lilysmommy and tony21 like this.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I haven't fed tomatoes yet, manly because I know the plant of tomatoes is toxic to most critter. I also know most fruits are to acidic for hogs, and I know tomatoes are acidic.

So far all I can get them to eat is potatoes and romaine (I find it depends on the batch I get, some will eag the lettuce, and some so t eat anything but potatoes).

On a good note I have my butter worms eating apple hahaha
Old 01-22-2015, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesireeM81 View Post
I feed hornworms and I gut load with tomatoes and other veggies plus some fruits. However, tomatoes do make up a good part of their diet mainly because they love them! Hornworms process food incredibly fast, they literally eat all the time and grow and eat and poop and eat and poop and grow some more. It's ridiculous. Because they process food so fast, I remove all food from their container for an hour beforehand so they can poop out all of the tomatoes. I have never had an issue with them.

(Just to clarify, Winter did not have hornworms for the week I was gone so I don't think that caused his bacterial infection)
IM interested In what veggies and fruits you can get them to eat?
I'll also start feeding tomatoes as well!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I do tomatoes, kale, blueberries or raspberries depending on what I have on hand. Make sure the kale is covered in juices otherwise they won't eat it. Anything slightly mushy is better. I'm sure some sweet potato would work too. I haven't tried that yet. I also did applesauce but it, um, caused some slimy aftermath so I won't be doing that again.

Oh and no skin or seeds on either the tomatoes or blue berries. They cannot penetrate the outside and I believe the seeds are toxic, like apple seeds.
Lilysmommy and tony21 like this.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

But aren't hornworms those icky worms that eat tomato plants and the tomatoes? Or is a species of it?

Now that's a bug that grosses me out.

RIP dearest Rana 4-19-15 --12-12-19, I will miss you forever

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2015, 01:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

They are one in the same. I actually think they are really cool looking. Almost too pretty to eat. They thrive on tomatoes and are considered one of the most devastating pests to tomatoes if left uncontrolled.

http://entomology.unl.edu/810/caterp...m/Manduca2.gif

Picture is of the worm (it's really a caterpillar), the larvae (coccoon) and then the moth.
tony21 likes this.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I think they're really cool looking until I pick one up and then the squishiness weirds me out a little. I guess I may have to look into them for hedgies though. Do you guys give a whole worm at a time? Does the hedgie make a huge mess with it or are they pretty clean? They seem like they'd be a bit messier than mealworms, given the size & squishiness.
tony21 and DesireeM81 like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesireeM81 View Post
I do tomatoes, kale, blueberries or raspberries depending on what I have on hand. Make sure the kale is covered in juices otherwise they won't eat it. Anything slightly mushy is better. I'm sure some sweet potato would work too. I haven't tried that yet. I also did applesauce but it, um, caused some slimy aftermath so I won't be doing that again.

Oh and no skin or seeds on either the tomatoes or blue berries. They cannot penetrate the outside and I believe the seeds are toxic, like apple seeds.
I know they eat sweet potato, but I can't stand sweet potatoes so I don't buy it lol. I do not really think they'd eat kale, but it makes sense. I also had no clue they ate blueberry or raspberry.

For the kale, can I just use any old juice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
I think they're really cool looking until I pick one up and then the squishiness weirds me out a little. I guess I may have to look into them for hedgies though. Do you guys give a whole worm at a time? Does the hedgie make a huge mess with it or are they pretty clean? They seem like they'd be a bit messier than mealworms, given the size & squishiness.
I love horn worms, I have used them quite a bit in the past with critters. They are one one of favorite feeders, health wise. They aren't messy at all (at least not with mine), Bell will just munch it down lol. Actually really fun watch! How ever, I find with Bell if they are to big she gets freaked out and won't eat them, or she will bite it and walk away

How I get around them being to big, is I get them a dozen at a time. I call by the place I get my bugs , and ask the guy to hold 12 of the smallest horns he's got so I can pick them up later (his bugs sell fast). If I catch him early he will will order 12 of the smallest his guy has, then I give Bell 1 every day or other day till they're gone. Then she has to wait till fix bug order. They also grow supper fast, witch is why I get so few
Lilysmommy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in