Food Question...Anything Other Than Cat Food? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Food Question...Anything Other Than Cat Food?

I've wanted sugar gliders for around 15 years, and I've kind of been watching the trends in their diet. When I first started looking at them, not much was known about them and the recommended diet was cat food. Now we still don't know much about them, but most owners agree that they need complicated mixes usually involving vitamins, baby food, fruit, veggies, yogurt, bugs, and bee pollen, and that cat food is bad for not only their health, but also their teeth.

I know that suggies and hedgies are obviously very different animals and I'm no expert about either, but has anyone tried experimenting with different vitamins and nutrition for their hedgehogs yet?
Incerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Food Question...Anything Other Than Cat Food?

Some of the suppliments I've seen on here are Sunshine Factor & Flax seed oil, both to help the skin.
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Food Question...Anything Other Than Cat Food?

Not much is known for hedgie requirements either. Most owners feed a variety of cat foods to hope cover all the bases, and supplement with insects, fruits, veggies, and things like unseasoned meats and scrambled eggs. The main difficulty is that hedgies are very picky and it's hard to get them to eat some foods that we deem good for them. As for supplements, many people use flax oil for skin health. As silvercat mentioned, Sunshine Factor is used in cases of extremely dry skin/quill loss... acidophilus tablets or bene-bac are used when a hedgie needs help recovering their gut flora, glucosamine chondroitin tablets for elderly hogs to help prevent any arthritic symptoms...

Other than that, I haven't heard of much used. There haven't been many problems nutritionally for hedgies being fed the mixed cat food, so anything else would just be vet prescriptions.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in