Switched to a Water Bowl - Question - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Switched to a Water Bowl - Question

I've had my hedgehog since Christmas Eve. Since then, she's been putting me through the ringer with eating. She'll eat eggs, meal worms, baby food, etc but wont eat her kibble (note: I haven't been spoiling her with treats, I hardly give them). I've tried every combination, cat food with cat food, hedgehog food with cat food, 2 cat foods with hedgehog food, I tried coffee grinding the kibble and adding chicken broth to make it pasty, everything.

Well last night I was cleaning her cage and decided to switch her to a water dish and remove the bottle as it seems like she struggles to reach it, even with a step stool. My mom and I stood there watching, scared she wouldn't know how to drink out of the bowl. Within two seconds she figured it out and slurped it down. She was SO thirsty. It made me feel terrible. Then this morning, it looked like she ate a little bit of the pasted up food I mixed up and there was a poop in her litter pan.

Do you think thirst could of been causing her lack of interest in the kibble? She hasn't been acting lethargic or anything.

Thanks,
Briana
bnk28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Switched to a Water Bowl - Question

It could have been. Dehyrdation can reduce hunger a little bit. Think about yourself. If your mouth is really dry, you don't want to put dry food in it. (Of Course this is just me guess). I would recommend watching for a week without adjusting the food side of things and see if her food intake goes up.

Glad she liked the water bowl!
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Snarf did the same thing. His previous owner used a bottle, so I kept it and added a bowl as well. He took a drink of water from his bottle - and seemed to me to be getting more and more ticked as he did so - then stuck his nose in his water - ooops! He sat back...glared at the water bowl for a second...then I swear I saw a light bulb go off and he drank half the bowl.

It breaks my heart to think he's probably lived his entire life needing more water.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
Snarf did the same thing. His previous owner used a bottle, so I kept it and added a bowl as well. He took a drink of water from his bottle - and seemed to me to be getting more and more ticked as he did so - then stuck his nose in his water - ooops! He sat back...glared at the water bowl for a second...then I swear I saw a light bulb go off and he drank half the bowl.

It breaks my heart to think he's probably lived his entire life needing more water.
bah ha. I'm not laughing at your message, I just had the most wonderful memory of my first hedgie reading that message thought. Sylvie's water/food dish was a cat dish with two bowls. Sometimes when putting the dish back in her cage, I would accidently switch the side that the water & food was on. Sylvie was a creature of habit, come out to eat some food and get a face full of water. She was look totally stunned, then turn & go back into her hidey hut until I fixed the bowl. It was too precious Thanks for the memory!
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm might buy a hedgehog, but first i want to buy everything before hand and then i buy the hedgie
so you would consider a water bowl better?
ShaylaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaylaRosa
so you would consider a water bowl better?

Definitely.

OMG, Silvercat!!! That's too funny!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies! She's been eating like crazy and pooping like crazy ever since I put the water dish in there. I'm so happy that I finally got her eating problem figured out!
bnk28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

This is good for us too! If someone in the future has a similar problem, we can ask if they have a water bottle or a bowl. It may help another hedgie down the road. Glad you figured it out!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

This morning I noticed that my new Hedgie, Sandi, was a little shaky which reminded me of my first hedgehog that passed away from extreme dehydration (she had a water bottle and not being able to drink from it effectively may have been a factor in her passing). I put her in her cage and tried to get her to drink from her watter bottle and it looked like she was having a lot of trouble getting the water to come out of it. I searched my kitchen for a suitable temporary dish and came up with a heavy-bottomed shallow glass dessert bowl. As soon as I put it in her cage and put Sandi next to it she drank almost half the water in the bowl! She continued to drink all day and tonight all of her shakiness was gone and she seemed very happy once again. I'm very glad that I caught it now and not in a couple days when she was extremely sick. I will never use a water bottle again.
hedjie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm glad you figured this out and Sandi is doing fine again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in