Zoo Med Can O' Mealworms HELP! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Zoo Med Can O' Mealworms HELP!

Alright, I have spent/wasted too much money on these dang mealworms!!! I hear it's bad to feed them to my hedgie when the mealworms turn black. Ok, so I've stored them in a fridge and they turned black. I tried storing them in a warm/dry area and they turned black. I took a pet store manager's advice and added a bit of water to the can and they still turned black!!!!

From each can I have bought I only get a day or two of worms out before the rest turn black. How the heck can I keep them "fresh" long enough to feed atleast a majority of the can to my ShadowBaby??????? I'm in college so I can't keep paying the $8 per can for a couple of nights worth of worms! I don't have the resources or room to farm my own and ShadowBaby won't eat live mealies.

I'm very fustrated. I reallllly hope someone can help me out.
alexdud25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Zoo Med Can O' Mealworms HELP!

I buy the ZooMed Can o' Crickets sometimes and they only last 4 days at the most. I don't have any advice to make your worms last longer.

Why don't you buy a tub of live mealworms? They are cheaper and will last a long time in the fridge.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Once you open the can you can freeze the mealworms, just lay them on a tray, making sure they're seperated, once frozen toss them into a freezer bag and take one or two out to thaw when you want them. Just make sure to feed them right away once they're thawed.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can't say I ever had this problem with the zoo med Can O' Mealworms and they were BubbleWrap's favorite. He also wouldn't eat live mealies. Hmm... You are talking about this right?

http://www.petco.com/product/7769/Zoo-M ... Worms-7769

I had an open can sitting in my fridge for over a month before they went bad. I wish I could help. I agree with nikki. Try freezing.
amber.vroman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Maybe the store you are buying these from doesn't have a quick enough turn around on their product and these are old by the time you buy them? I buy live mealworms and they've lasted weeks in the fridge without going black.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber.vroman
Hmm... You are talking about this right?

http://www.petco.com/product/7769/Zoo-M ... Worms-7769
Yes, that is the exact can I buy! I've tried using different stores too, because I thought maybe it was the original PetCo.

*sigh* I will try freezing them. Wish he would just cooperate and eat them live but noooo spoiled Mr. Grumpy Quills will have it his way or no way

Thank you all for replying back so quickly!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

I finally got a new can of Zoo Med mealies, and threw them in the freezer.

A few minutes ago I got them out to see if I could tempt Shadow into eating a few. It worked!!! I held one (still frozen) in my finger and he zoomed out of his tunnel for it! He ate it and looked at me with an expectant face so I fed him a few more before he went back to sleep

I didn't think he would eat them frozen! I tossed a couple in his bowl to thaw before his first feeding of the night and placed a few others around his cage for him to find!

I'm so glad I figured this out! Not surprised that I would get the oddball hedgie that likes mealie popsicles!!

Thank you all for the advice!
Old 01-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm definitely going to try the freezng method, never really thought about it! I can't go through a can fast enough before they go bad either, and Sherlock fusses over live ones. I'll have to do this sometime when my roomies aren't around to be grossed out.

Thank you ashjac18 for my Sherlock avatar
NoDivision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in