Newhedge hog wont eat Kaytee food - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 03:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newhedge hog wont eat Kaytee food

My hedgehog is about 2-3 months old and was bought for me as a present from a pet shop. My hedgie also came with a bag of Kaytee food which i was told was used to feed him at the store. The food looks like typical dried cat/rodent food and is mixed with alot of dead, preserved meal worms, but hedgie will only pick out the 2 or 3 mealworms put in his bowl and wont even touch the other stuff. I've even left the pellets there for 24 hours with no meal worms and he would sniff it but wouldn't even bother to touch it. I've tried to find the type of food i got on Kaytee's website but i cant seem to find it.

Ps
I'm pretty sure he's quilling right now. That or he has mites im not sure im taking him to the vet on friday.
Kevinthehedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Newhedge hog wont eat Kaytee food

Kaytee is a crap food. A good quality cat food is the best choice. There are numerous threads that give food recommendations.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Welcome to HHC & congrats on your hedgie! There's some great info on good kinds of dry cat food listed under the diet & nutrition section. You may be able to get your money back for that food, it wouldd be worth trying.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome to HHC! Yeah, as Nancy said, the Kaytee food is complete garbage. Try eating shredded cardboard. I'd recommend reading the stickies in this section of the forum, and deciding on a few good high quality cat foods, to introduce to your hedgie one at a time. Good luck! I'm glad you asked for help.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Kuzukuzu27

Sadly, most pet stores don't know very much about hedgehogs.

When I bought Yoshi, I was told he was a rodent, that his teeth would keep growing forever, that he'd chew up cardboard, and I had to waste 20 bucks on a bag of Pretty Pets hedgehog food, which is another terrible brand.

I'd already bought some different food for him before I got him, and put some of it in with the PP. He left the PP alone and gobbled up the cat food(Which was Nutro Max Cat weight control. Not a great food, but much better than Pretty Pets). I learned shortly after that PP was bad, so I slowly got rid of it, even though he already wasn't eating it. I now have Yoshi on three different foods. Unfortunately, he isn't a fan of the healthiest one in there. xD

Good luck introducing a nutritional diet to your baby.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you everybody for the response my hedgie Kevin will be very pleased with his new cat food, it actually turns out that I already have one of the recommended cat foods so i dont have to spend more money.

This truly is a community of experts
Kevinthehedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in