How to get her to eat?! - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to get her to eat?!

Okay guys. I have had River for almost three weeks. About two weeks ago I had to start syringe feeding her. She eats anything I put in a syringe. I was using A/D but I ran out and my petsmart in town doesn't carry prescription food so I've been using another prescription cat food my mom had on hand. She eats that just fine. When I pick her up in the morning to feed her she starts smacking her lips and is eagerly hungry. Same thing during her other two feedings. I can typically get about 14 ml in her a day. She stops eating when she's full so I stop feeding her. I have been supplementing this diet with plenty of bugs including crickets, mealworms, roaches, hornworms, superworms and a pinkie mouse once a week.

I bought a home security camera to watch and see if she eats. Rose is eating fine and putting on weight even though I don't want her too. River though will sometimes eat the raw food I leave for them and touch a little bit of the wet food I give them. River will not touch the kibble at all. Rose eats a few pieces at night. Rivers weight is pretty consistent. She bounces between 455 and 470ish. Her lowest weight was 445grams when I put in their new CSWs.

My question is should I stop syringe feeding her and see if she starts eating on her own? Is it okay if she doesn't eat for a day to see if she will eat her food? If she doesn't eat the first night should I not feed her till the second morning? I don't mind syringe feeding her and my sister helps out when I'm not home to be able to feed her but I would feel so much better if she would just eat on her own. I have already tried mixing some kibble with the A/D and putting that in a bowl but only Rose ate it. They are given the option to eat kibble, the food they were on before I got them and my own mixture, a tablespoon of wet food and a medallion of beef raw instinct. Plus whatever bugs are on the menu for the night.

Any advice or answers to my questions are welcome. I am willing to try anything for this little girl.

Oh and vet visit was normal, healthy and she said it was probably just stress which is what I figured.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

That's a tough one- if I remember correctly, River and Rose get more stressed when you try to separate them (which is adorable, although not helpful when it comes to food).
I would say to keep trying the mix of A/D and kibble, but that isn't going to be helpful if Rose is just going to eat it.
Have you tried taking River out to be fed and offering her the mix of A/D and kibble? Obviously she is hungry then. Or maybe taking her out for play time when you would normal syringe feed her and place the food in there?
The only other thing I can think of is that she may have problems with her teeth. Did the vet get a good look to see if any of her teeth are loose or sore?
Old 08-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can try to offer her kibble during play/bonding time since she associates that with food. I haven't tried that yet.

Unfortunately River is only comfortable with me to uncurl. There was no way the vet was getting to her teeth. But when I syringe feed her she opens her mouth bites and chews and her teeth look fine to me. Actually she has perfectly symmetrical teeth that look very clean and white.

As of right now I don't think separating them is an option. They seem to be truly boned and antsy when the other isn't around for a long time. River is the only one who went to the vet since Rose is eating and had her check up before heading on the plane and Rose did not like being alone. She slept really poorly for a the couple hours we were gone. My vet is an hour away so she was alone for about three hours and my fianc้ says she was running around the cage every few minutes.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wonder if maybe her teeth are loose and that is making it difficult to eat hard kibble. Have you tried crushing the kibble? Maybe crushing it and mixing it with A/D to give to her during play time?
Old 08-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sweetergrrrl

I used some of the Kitten NutriCal from Petco. It is a vitamin supplement and works a lot as an appetite stimulant as well.

sweetergrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'll try crushing her food tonight and see if that's the problem. I'll also offer her it at play time tonight. She has some issue with bigger food too that the little guys don't seem to have a problem with. I just always worry about her. If the crushing of food doesn't help I'll try the kitten nutrical but I can't feed it to her in her cage since she is with her "sister" Rose and Rose is a little overweight.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Okay. Something has to be wrong with her teeth or she hates all four kinds of kibble. I took her out this afternoon for some cuddle time while I studied and she started licking her lips. I had already fed her this morning so I tried to trick her and feed her kibble. She smelled it and put it in her mouth and promptly spit it out. I tried all the different kinds but she didn't give them the chance. She just smelled them and turned her head. I gave her some mealworms which she promptly ate and then she fell asleep in my lap. She ate a pinkie mouse last night as well after I held it for her so she could get it started.

Does anybody have a good way to check her teeth? I tried to get in there and while she didn't ball up I could not get her mouth open.

Also she won't eat early in the morning either. I leave for school around 730 and I try to feed her at 630-7 and she wasn't having it. Do you think that means she is actually eating enough that I don't need to feed her anymore? My sister will come over and feed her on that day if I need her too.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Molly had dental problems. She was really cooperative at the vet's office.
Molly used to get food stuck on the top of her mouth and would start gagging and I would have to remove it for her.
I don't know how to tell if her teeth are loose, but you can check her gums (if she will let you). With Molly I would hold her like I was going to feed her and when she opened her mouth I would get a Q-tip in there so she couldn't close her mouth. You can try that and see if her gums are swollen or if she is missing any teeth.
DesireeM81 likes this.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Did you just feed Molly wet food or did she still try to eat kibble?
Old 09-03-2014, 03:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Once she started getting the kibble stuck on the roof of her mouth, I had to remove the kibble as I didn't want her to choke while I was sleeping. I believe I gave her A/D and baby food at that time. I also tried soaking her kibble and then crushing it, but she wasn't as interested in that. She also went downhill quickly after that- it wasn't related to her dental issues, she had a tumour or a lesion in her brain (among many other medical issues). So there were a lot of changes I had to make for her around that time.
At that point I was just trying to keep her as healthy as I could. So I'm not sure what long-term implications there may be in feeding a hedgehog that way. I only did it for a short period of time.
CoffeeKat likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in