dinner time! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default dinner time!

Hi all,
I tried to feed my hedgie live meal worms and he did not seem to fond of them, however he did eat ones that were in his food... (the dried ones or something) I saw on the forum that hedgies should not eat raisons...so I went to the store to get my Ovi some treats and one of them had dried cranberry in them? I did not know if this was okay for my hedgie. I also know that they can eat baby food, cat treats, different fruits, veggies.

I was just wondering if anyone could send me other specifics, of what they feed their hedgies. I would love to hear all the different diets, treats and everything else!

Thanks so much.
zomeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: dinner time!

It's been super hard finding treats they like but this is what I've figured out so far lol
Loken likes mealies and recently tried peas and ate them, he's my picky one
Sandra will eat mealies steamed carrot, pineapple, peas, apple
Old 12-19-2010, 02:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

I deffinetly want to try some of those, if anyone else has any others things that they feed their hedgies, and possibly how often I should feed my hedgie this, that would be great!!

Old 12-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Here's a list of things to avoid...
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40
As far as food I have tried with my hedgies...
Cooked, plain chicken. Cooked carrots, squash, pumpkin. Green beans, apple.
Banana is a big hit with Zoey. Shrimp. Scrambled eggs are also a big hit. Watermelon.

I haven't tried these, but heard some hedgies like them - baby food (just about any kind, but the meat kind is popular) & gerber chicken sticks.

I have found that Zoey will at least try something. Cholla won't touch anything but his kibble & mealworms & waxworms.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quigley will eat live, canned or defrosted frozen worms (not freeze dried but fresh ones that I put in the freezer, defrost on a paper towel in a few minutes and then feed immediately to hedgehog). How many you feed partly depends on your hedgehogs weight and activity level but most can have about 4 a night or more if they only get them occasionally or every other night.

He has been known to eat banana but only if hand fed (hand feeding is not typically recommended).

He loves baby food but only from the syringe (will not touch soft food in a dish).

His favourite treat is beef liver, it's a freeze dried treat sold for cats and dogs. He gets a small piece every other night or so. This is super high in protein stinky and he anoints with it every time.

He also likes turkey dog biscuits. But I haven't been able to find these any where except the pet store I used to work in (Bark and Fitz) which only has a handful of Canadian locations. They used to give away samples of them so when I worked I would put one in my pocket for Quigley to find during snuggle time later. He would usually take a few bites of it (eating about 1/3 of the treat) and then I would save the rest for the next day (it would take him a few days to finish it). Keep in mind these were tiny treats made for small dogs.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgielover
His favourite treat is beef liver, it's a freeze dried treat sold for cats and dogs. He gets a small piece every other night or so. This is super high in protein stinky and he anoints with it every time.
Same as Sanrf and chicken hearts (dried cat treats in a bag). I cut off a teeny piece - which totally grosses me out: It's a real heart !!! - and he annoints every single time. I don't know how he finds time to eat anything with all the annointing he does.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
He has been known to eat banana but only if hand fed (hand feeding is not typically recommended).

why is hand feeding not recommended??
Old 12-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

chicken hearts? gross but if their high in protein I would love to have Ovi try some...
Old 12-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

I tossed out the bag but I'm sure they were 42% protein...can't remember fat. He only gets a teeeeeensy little piece 2 - 3 times a week ('bout half the size of a fingernail?)
Old 12-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomeister
Quote:

why is hand feeding not recommended??
It's because they can start to associate fingers with food. And may start biting. Using tweezers or chopsticks is a better option.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in